Lambic Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to do my first lambic. I am confused as to which lambic to use. I see Wyeast has the Roselaire (3763) and the Belgian Lambic (3278) along with individual cultures of Peddi, Lacto, and Brett. White labs has their Sour Blend (WLP655). The Wyeast Belgian lambic (3278) has a ale yeast along with a sherry yeast, brett, lacto and pediococcus. The description of the Roselaire from the Wyeast site is the same as for the belgian lambic.

The White labs Sour blend contains Brett, Sacch, Lacto and Pedio.

I am confused as to which one to use. If I go with the White Labs, I will need a primary yeast for fermentation, then add the sour blend after primary fermentation ends.

If I use the Wyeast, do I use the Belgian Lambic or the Roselaire? Also, with these cultures, do I need to use a Sacch species such as a wheat beer yeast for primary?

I am trying to culture the dregs from some commercial examples, but my options are thin here in Florida. The only bottled Lambic I can get that has dregs to culture is Lindemans Cuvee Rene. I wish I could get my hands on some Cantillon.

Thanks

I am personally partial to the Wyeast blends, WL blends tend to be far more fecal/barnyard than I like, between the two blends from WY it depends on what you want, the roeselare tends to be a bit more lactic and less bretty in my experience

Also, if I had a preference between using a bottle of cuvee rene and a bottle of cantillon for culturing I would choose the cuvee renee (provided its fairly fresh) Cantillon is well aged by the time it reaches us, and the only thing Ive every really got out of it is a culture that produces a very weird grainy flavor that I dont particularly enjoy

If you really looking for some good sours you might try ordering them online, Ive had good luck with the wine and cheese place as well as anconas, the wine and cheese place usually has a very good stock this time of year

You can start any of those cultures in primary.

You don't necessarily have to use dregs from lambics to enhance the culture you pitch. I hear Cigar City (we don't get em in GA) has some nice sour beers from time to time that you could probably use to make your culture more complex.

-chuck

Back