green tea aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I brewed a PM awhile back and opened my "2 week bottle" today to try. It had a kinda old green tea aftertaste to it which wasnt horrible but not what i wanted. It had this same taste on bottling day but was much stronger so hopefully it is going to mellow out. Does anyone know what ingredient caused this and if it will mellow alot as it sits longer.

American hefe:
4 lbs wheat dme
2 lbs raw wheat (steep 160 degrees F 30 min before boil)
1 oz bitter orange peel (steep 15 min flameout)
0.75 oz corriander (steep 15 min flameout)
2 lbs orange blossom honey (20 min boil)

5 gal boil
OG 1.051
FG 1.008

My guess is the combo of wheat and the coriander, but I'd let it mellow for a little while longer and see how it goes. Many of my very hoppy brews had a grass like taste for almost a month, then finished out perfectly.

hopefully! but being a hefe its not very hoppy so fingers crossed on the mellow

I always think of tea as astringent. Is your beer astringent? If so, you may have extracted some tannins at some point. There are lots of posts on that.

The 'green' part is likely due to the fact that your beer simply isn't ready yet. I highly recommend that you wait for AT LEAST 4 weeks before passing any judgment on your bottled beer. Sometimes longer.

it doesnt really have the tannin taste to it, mostly it tastes as if you brewed some green tea then let it sit for a day get cold then drink it again. I didnt pass too much judgement since it was only in the bottles for 2 weeks and will def. give it a couple more weeks (cant promise i wont open a 3rd week bottle)

Back