How much molasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
I hear molasses is pretty potent, so how much is too much, for say a 5 gallon batch Og of 1.120, high gravity ale?

I currently have a beer aging that has 1 lb of molasses (that was one entire jar from the store). It has a bunch of other stuff in it, but the molasses definitely comes through. Don't remember the OG, but it's about 13% so I know it was up there.

I usually go with 0.75 lbs in my imperial stout and I get a nice background hint of molasses. Then again, with an OG as high as yours, 1 lb would probably hit the mark. Also, since your gravity is as high as it is, I would avoid the blackstrap molasses and go for the lighter "regular" molasses since its sugars are more refined and more fermentable.

bcgpete said:
I currently have a beer aging that has 1 lb of molasses (that was one entire jar from the store). It has a bunch of other stuff in it, but the molasses definitely comes through. Don't remember the OG, but it's about 13% so I know it was up there.

That's what I was thinking. 1lb, but I didn't want to ruin it with too much.... Also using whiskey soaked oak chips.

bigbeergeek said:
I usually go with 0.75 lbs in my imperial stout and I get a nice background hint of molasses. Then again, with an OG as high as yours, 1 lb would probably hit the mark. Also, since your gravity is as high as it is, I would avoid the blackstrap molasses and go for the lighter "regular" molasses since its sugars are more refined and more fermentable.

Thanks, I make sure and check what I already have... Bought a bunch a while back ago for wife than she realized that I bought too much...

That's what I was thinking. 1lb, but I didn't want to ruin it with too much.... Also using whiskey soaked oak chips.

Yeah, I also put some oak chips soaked in brandy in my old ale. I made it back in December, and I took a sample from the carboy Sunday. I think the oak and the molasses go really well together.

bcgpete said:
Yeah, I also put some oak chips soaked in brandy in my old ale. I made it back in December, and I took a sample from the carboy Sunday. I think the oak and the molasses go really well together.

Good that's what I was hoping for. That makes me feel a little better with the recipe I came up with, now just got to hash out all the little details with the ppl helping with the brew....

Check the porter recipe under my name. I use 1.5 pounds of molasses. With a beer this strong, it gives the high alcohol content a rum like hint that goes well with the oak and roasted specialty grains.

Back