Getting Hooked on IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyd

Reaction score
After 15 months of brewing and trying to enjoy new styles, I can now appreciate and enjoy IPAs. They used to be too hoppy and bitter. But my tastes have changed enough that the last few weeks I've had Big Sky IPA and Goose Island IPA. Both were pretty good. Now I'm wondering what to brew.

Brew a centennial IPA, then a Cascade IPA. Then, when they are both done, drink one. Then drink the other. Then have a third, where you mix the two. Then you can have a commercial IPA to compare...

If you don't remember your results, at least you will have had a good time :)

I'm about halfway through NB's Chinook IPA and the rest won't last long. The stuff is just plain good, I'll be brewing this one again. I did extract but I think they've got an AG version.

I know what you mean - I got a sampler 12-pack from Wild Rose, who make a fine product up here in Calgary, AB. While I am fond of all of their beers in their own way, I realized that it was the IPA that resonated most with me.

This coming weekend, I am going to brew up two variations on the IPA theme: an India Black Ale, and a Rye IPA. There is quite a variety amongst IPAs - enough that you can completely dedicate yourself to IPAs and always have something different and enjoyable.

But really, why limit yourself?

When they are all done and ready to drink, I will probably have to try ihomebrewing's taste test suggestion.

I found it at Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits. Hy-Vee is a big grocery store chain here and they have a pretty decent liquor section. If you meant what town, I live in Mason City.

I love IPA, the hoppier the better. Over the past year or so, I think my palate has been becoming desensitized to hops. Nothing gives me that bite unless it has 100 IBUs. Im thinking about ditching IPAs for six months or so to give my palate a rest. Maybe drink wine until a get a few wheats ready.

Back