back after a 5 year vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_dani

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed my first batch after 5 years.... I am just brewing a honey amber ale and had something strange happen... Primary at 80 degrees then pitched yeast, after 2 hours I had bubbles and after 5 I had Krausen. 48 hours as in today less then one bubble per min in the fermenter, house stays 74 degrees all day and just dont get it and am now thinking a cup of honey and some oxygen. What do you all think.

No hydrometer reading this time due to breakage so no way to tell there but here are the ingredients:
6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract
2 lbs. Minnesota Clover Honey
8 oz. Caramel 80°L
2 oz. Special B
2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains
1/2 oz. Galena bittering hops
1 oz. Fuggle aroma hops
Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
Munton's 6 gm Premium Gold Yeast

At 80 degrees, you may well have burned through the majority of your fermentation in two days. Definitely don't add any oxygen at this point, or the shelf-life of your beer will be extremely short.

Let it sit for a couple of weeks (at those temperatures, the yeast will have a lot of by-products to clean up), then take some final gravity samples. If they are low (should come in around 1.015 or a little lower) and stable over several days, you'll be good to bottle.

The yeast will have ripped through that grist bill fairly quick at above 74. It may even have been higher because fermentation gives off heat.

Let it sit and you'll be fine.

Welcome back to the obsession! :mug:

Back