Setting regulator in variable temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcurling

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for someone to confirm my understanding here.

I keg, but I don't yet have a kegerator so my kegs just sit in the garage. At the moment the temperature is typically swinging from 4C to 12C between day and night. I tend to 'set and forget' and my kegs tend to last me quite a while.

To choose the pressure for the keg, I enter the serving temperature and the beer style into tastybrew calculator to get an approximate PSI. Now, I believe that the regulator only regulates in one direction, i.e. if I set it at 10 PSI and the keg is below this, it will allow gas in, but if the keg is above 10 PSI, it won't let gas out. Given that CO2 is more soluble in beer at lower temperature, this would mean that the carbonation would ratchet up during the nights and over time attain the carbonation volume associated with the lower temperature limit (that is, the lower limit of temperature that the beer reaches given that it may not cool all the way to 4C during the night).

Does this make sense to everyone, that if temperature cycles then I should calculate my PSI based on the lowest temperature the beer will reach?

markcurling said:
[...]Does this make sense to everyone, that if temperature cycles then I should calculate my PSI based on the lowest temperature the beer will reach?

That makes sense to me...

Cheers!

I agree with setting pressure at lowest potential - you are gauranteed to not over pressure the keg, however you may underpressure keg if you are impatient.

Back