Reusing yeast multiple generations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFuggles

Reaction score
Whats the problem with keeping yeast alive for multiple generations?

I just got some pacman and I plan on using it all year. Since its only available infrequently I see myself keeping it alive for many generations. Any tips or info on the subject.

I currently wash and keep a few strains in mason jars for a few months. I plan to keep doing this but refresh the jars with cultures from starters after a few months. With good sanitation and refreshing the yeast stock from primaries I think the chances of introducing other creatures is slim. Here's an abstract stating no difference after 300 generations.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/hn40857lm3243417/

I'm just now going to start saving, freezing, and keeping yeast for multiple generations. I'm pretty excited to get into it. I'd been recently wondering if there was a number of generations that you shouldn't go past.

I'm just now going to start saving, freezing, and keeping yeast for multiple generations. I'm pretty excited to get into it. I'd been recently wondering if there was a number of generations that you shouldn't go past.

Go until you start tasting off flavours.

But for me, I reuse yeast up to 4 or 5 generations as of late and find that it keeps well without any noticeable mutations.

I am also keeping my Pacman yeast for repitching. I first used my Pacman smackpack to ferment a mild Pale ale. Then I poured some of the trub from that fermenter into two sanitized jars and refrigerated them. I used one of the jars of slurry on an IPA and the other jar on a barleywine. I'm saving some of the trub from each of these beers for third generation batches. I hope to get 5-6 generations (10+ beers) from the original smackpack.

I have read 5 generations...
If your original is generation 1 and you get enough yeast from the first batch to make 4 starters (assume 4 starters from each batch), you can end up with 1 + 4 *4 *4 *4 = 257 batches.

From what I have read you will start getting enough contamination, wild yeast, etc, to make it tough to go more than 5 generations.

Whats the problem with keeping yeast alive for multiple generations?

I just got some pacman and I plan on using it all year. Since its only available infrequently I see myself keeping it alive for many generations. Any tips or info on the subject.

I currently wash and keep a few strains in mason jars for a few months. I plan to keep doing this but refresh the jars with cultures from starters after a few months. With good sanitation and refreshing the yeast stock from primaries I think the chances of introducing other creatures is slim. Here's an abstract stating no difference after 300 generations.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/hn40857lm3243417/

That is 300 generations under fantastically different circumstances than you are keeping and propagating your yeast.

As always, observe the fermentation characteristics and go back to the original culture when they change.

I am also keeping my Pacman yeast for repitching. I first used my Pacman smackpack to ferment a mild Pale ale. Then I poured some of the trub from that fermenter into two sanitized jars and refrigerated them. I used one of the jars of slurry on an IPA and the other jar on a barleywine. I'm saving some of the trub from each of these beers for third generation batches. I hope to get 5-6 generations (10+ beers) from the original smackpack.

Hi Beerbeque. Have you seen the sticky thread on harvesting and washing yeast? Basically what you do, with a small, easy step added to "wash" most of the trub away, leaving you with cleaner yeast in your fridge. Very similar to what you do.

I've heard that you shouldnt go past 6 gens....but thats heresay as i've never been past 3..lol

I have found that pacman yeast is amazingly "robust" and can be used for multiple generations and even washed after hoppy, strong beers with no issues. This is my experience anyway. This yeast is just a beast and seems to laugh at maltose and get stronger the more you abuse it.

Back