Using a different yeast strain..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I make a lot of lagers using WL830. I'm making a Bo dunkle this weekend and used WL802 Czech budvar. I did everything the same when making a starter, but when I checked the starter this morning it hasn't change at all. Usually it's a little creamy in the morning, but it's still a brownish green color. Now I know visual activity doesn't mean everything, but it looks like it hasn't begun.
I was planing on cold crashing it tonight and doing a step up tomorrow. What do ya'll thank??

I did one thing different.. I took the vial out of the fridge and pitched it within an hour. Usually I wait a few hours.

In an hour, the vial should have been pretty much room temp. Shaking the starter do you see any CO2 coming out of solution? It may just be this yeast is slower to get started than your other strains.

In an hour, the vial should have been pretty much room temp. Shaking the starter do you see any CO2 coming out of solution? It may just be this yeast is slower to get started than your other strains.

I have it on a stir plate..I've never used this strain before, so maybe it's just me.

Back