wyeast 3333 - off to a slooooow start can you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkgmsu2000

RDWHAHB
Reaction score
:confused:

i brewed an all-grain, all-wheat 3 GALLON recipe on saturday. today is tuesday. its been a full 72 hours and i am concerned with the activity after 3 days.

i used wyeast 3333. it appears to be off to a very slow start. i originally stored my bucket at 62F, but after 2 days of very little activity, i moved it to a warmer spot closer to 68F hoping it would help. 68F is about as warm as i can do in my condo this time of year.

has anyone else used this yeast 3333 and noticed a slow start to fermentation? when i smacked the pack, it did fully open up before pitching. my OG was 1038, only a few points lower then my predicted 1041.

i did not use a starter because its only a 3 gallon batch (~2.75 gal actually) and i figured that one smack pack should be more than enough for a smaller 3 gallon batch.

:confused:

p.s. yes, i read the sticky on the topic of fermentation, but i was curious to know more about 3333 if anyone has recent experience with it.

I use 3333 in a hefeweizen recipe my LBS has. I'm not sure how much of a hefeweizen it really is, but it's good stuff. This is the only yeast I have to use a blow off tube for. It's a vigorous fermenter. With a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy, it will be coming out of the airlock before day two. I can see it swirling around in the wort too. Pretty wild stuff. Anyways, my experience with this yeast, is that it is VERY active. More so than any other yeast I've ever used. I LOVE the way it smells too.

Latest posts

Back