are my hops still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i got 3oz of amarillo pellets from a brewer about 2 months ago. he gave them to me in tin foil. i used an ounce for a batch at the time, wrapped them back up in the foil, threw them in a plastic bag, and tossed them in the freezer. are they still legit? how long do hops last in the freezer if there just chillin in a plastic bag?

Should be fine....

Oxygen is the thing you want to avoid, so if they were in good shape to begin with, were wrapped in plastic and put back in the freezer, don't worry...

Sure, should be still good. You kept them in the freezer, in a bag and it's not been so long.

Happy brewing..

Cheers
:mug:

Should be fine....
Oxygen is the thing you want to avoid, so if they were in good shape to begin with, were wrapped in plastic and put back in the freezer, don't worry...

+1, should be good to go. Cheers! :mug:

I just bought 1.5 lbs of old hops from a club member for a $1 a pound. Some are a year and a half old, but were in airtight sealed bags (seal-a-meal). Some of the bags had lost thier air tight seal, but they were still good as they were kept in freezer the entire time.

I've adjusted my recipes to add about 10% more hops to compensate. I don't think you need to do that though.

Back