stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfouts

Reaction score
I brewed a holiday ale (Kit from midwest) and I think I've got a stuck fermenation.

The recipe was:
6 lbs. Dark LME
3.3 lbs. Amber LME
8 oz. caramel 60(steeped)
8 oz. special B(steeped)

1 oz. Vanguard(60 minutes)
ginger,nutmeg, and cinnamon stick(10 minutes)
1 oz. cascade(2 minutes)

I used Wyeast European Ale, no starter just the smack pack.

Im first concern/question is that when I measured my OG it was 1.084! The reference on the kit instructions was 1.06201.066?? This didn't seem right but I didn't think much of it at the time. Is there any reason it should be this far off recipe?

It seemed to be going good and I planned to rack into 2nd ferm after 1 week but yeast had not dropped (still had kraeusen). I had to go out of town so I left it in primery ferm for another week.

When I returned it looked the same as when I had left it one week earlier. I measured gravity = 1.04. I had a pack of dry Nottingham yeast so I rehydraded it and added it.

After 24+ hours I just checked it again and there's no significant activity and gravity reading is still 1.04.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Temp of ferm has been ~67-68 deg.

Questions:
1. Is it stuck since there is still kraeusen? From what I've read stuck ferm usally drops and only has high gravity.
2. Any ideas on how to unstick? I've read about adding to yeast cake.
3. Should i get it out of primary ferm? It's been in there 2 weeks and 1 day.

Thanks

1. Probably not. With a beer that big, it's probably still going, it can still drop a little bit.

2. You can rouse it up a little bit, get some yeast back into suspension.

3. Nope. I would let it go a little longer, it won't hurt at all.

When you checked your OG, what temp was it at? Also, next time, make a starter. You'll be glad you did.

I agree with the post above me, next time definitely make a starter!

I think this SHOULD start up again. I made a 1.092 beer that fermented so vigorously that it came up through my airlock. When I went to rack it was stuck at 1.040. I sprinkled some champagne yeast on it and it started up again. Since you re-pitched I think you may just need to wait a little while. Mine took over a day to start up again.

Use a beer SW to calculate OG based on that grain/extract mix, the calculation should be pretty close to what you will actually get. Grains don't magically gain gravity points, my suspicion is your measurement technique was off or your hydrometer is off...or both.

As for the panic of adding more yest...relax and let it sit for another week, ~3 weeks in a primary won't cause any issues so long as you keep the temp controlled and the liquid out of the light.

funny, same thing happened with my happy holiday ale from midwest. same yeast and everything. only mine was stuck at 1.020... it might still be, i haven't checked it in two months.

I tried rousing the yeast. I plan on checking it on Thurs. bfouts, I'll let you know how that worked.

How long can I leave it in the primary ferm? This is only my 7th homebrew batch but I've always racked in secondary within 1-2 weeks? Will there be any yeast taste by leaving it in there longer?

Another question is about temp. Currently my basement is at a constant 67 deg. I could bring it up stairs (temp would be around 72-76). My though was higher temp may start up ferm but is higher temp bad for flavor.

Thanks

Back