Effects of light on beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
ok.....me and my buds are a little over a month and a half into homebrewing and right now I have 5 carboys in my basement. having a blast so far. I have been very careful about covering my carboys with a blanket to keep the light from it. My question is, is how picky do i need to be about covering these. I have no flourescent light in my basement and the only light the carboys would see if they weren't covered would be a 60 watt bulb or some slight sunlight when the front door opens which both are not constant.....just occassionally. Do i really need to keep these covered or is this an unneccessary step. Oh and btw....our first ale that we bottled about 2.5 weeks ago tasted great:tank::D

thanks

I had a very light grain beer (Cream of Three Crops) that was sitting in a glass carboy for about 2 weeks under 24/7 flourescents.

Sure enough...I detected a slight skunk aroma. Funny thing though...as I served the beer, people swore it was a corona clone.

I can attest that indeed, flourescent lights when expose constantly over long periods, will affect your beer.

Note however, that this beer was crystal clear in a secondary carboy. Normally fermenting beers that are still very cloudy, should not be affected.

so with my situation stated above i really should not have to worry about covering the carboys with a blanket????

I cover always-(even though it is pitch dark in the room 99.5% of the time). Why not, not a big deal to set a blanket on it.

A skunky beer is not the target 99% of the time. Indirect light should not be a problem but why take any chances in something you can control. Too many things beyond my control can mess with my beer, so good ingredients and procedures, sanitization, temperature control, time, and light control kind of stack the cards in my favor.

My only concern with covering with a blanket is keeping too much heat in. As long as you are fermenting at a reasonable temperature, there shouldn't be a problem.

I shoot for the 62 - 68 range.

I leave mine uncovered with the lights off in the basement. Indirect light from one small window and good cellar temps.

If you are worried about the heat trapped by the blanket... Use an old T-shirt instead, and if it's warm spray it down with water or put it in a water bath, the evaporation will help keep it cool... And the shirt will block some of the light, not as much as a blanket, but it sounds like there isn't too much light coming into the basement anyway.

All you could ever want to know about light and skunked beer. Light skunks beer. Period. And quickly too.

The hop compounds that are responsible for making beer bitter are called isomerized alpha-acids. These chemicals, along with sulfur compounds found in beer, are also culpable in beer skunking. When light hits beer, it provides the energy necessary to drive a reaction that transforms the iso-alpha-acids into 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol. The “thiol” part of that somewhat cumbersome name indicates that there is sulfur present. Sulfur compounds often have strong, offensive aromas. Some musteline animals, like skunks, have evolved the ability to produce this chemical, and use it for self-defense.

In a sense, the aroma of light-struck beer doesn’t just resemble skunk spray, it is skunk spray! It’s the same stuff!

This photochemical reaction is the only cause of skunked beer. Warm storage, while damaging to the flavor of beer, does not skunk it. Cycling the temperature of beer from warm to cold and back again is also not implicated. Storing beer in the dark is the simple way to prevent skunking.

Blue light, and to a lesser extent green and a bit of near ultraviolet are the most damaging to beer. Most wavelenghts of ultraviolet light are not a concern because glass blocks them quite effectively (that’s why you don’t get sunburned in your car). The color of glass is the color of the light that it transmits, so green bottles allow the green light though. Similarly, blue light passes unhindered through pretty, cobalt-blue bottles. Clear bottles transmit all of the visible light. That is the reason beer in green, blue, and clear bottles is almost always skunked. Yes, even some very expensive imports.

The photochemical reaction that skunks beer occurs very quickly; a well-hopped beer in clear glass can become noticeably offensive with just 30 seconds of exposure to sunshine. Brown glass transmits less visible light than the previously mentioned colors, and therefore offers some protection from skunking. It does allow some light through, so beer in brown bottles will skunk after a few hours of light exposure.

Since light is an essential ingredient in the skunking process, beers packaged in kegs, cans, and opaque bottles cannot be skunked. Beers with very little hops, like all of the insipid mass-market American lagers, cannot become as skunky as overtly hoppy styles like pale ales, simply because there is less iso-alpha-acid available.

do you think the light in fridge would affect fermenting beer i took it out cause switch sometimes doesnt work right and leaves it on instead of shutting it off? LOL i was thinking of doing fermentation cam but if refrigerater light will screw it up dont want to risk it!!!! what yall think

Nice job digging up a 4-plus year old thread! I guess the "search bar" works after all.

I don't think a fridge light would effect a beer, but if it is a still-fermenting beer then don't put it in the fridge. Most ale yeast works best at temps of 59˚-70˚.

Nice job digging up a 4-plus year old thread! I guess the "search bar" works after all.

I don't think a fridge light would effect a beer, but if it is a still-fermenting beer then don't put it in the fridge. Most ale yeast works best at temps of 59˚-70˚.

I have temp controller on fridge holding at perfect temp:mug:

I simply take an old black t-shirt and put it over my carboys.

Doesnt hold in any real heat and I ferment in my daughters nursery (formerly my sons nursery). I try and keep the lights off at all times but the window is always drawn open. Ive never had any skunky problems.

I um, ferment in a um, corny keg so... No light getting in there! Same price as a carboy and soooo much easier to use! Dual blowoffs and presto perfect primary, or secondary eh. I would always wrap up my carboys in a fleece to keep out the light.

Bottling though is another matter. I bottle in a garage with compact fluorescent lights. The bottling bucket usually sits uncovered...maybe I'll start putting a lid on it. The beer is exposed to light while in the bottling wand, and then the bottles sit out for a few minutes until I get about 12 to cap all at once. Any science whizzes out there have input?

Another 4 year old threadsurrection! Well done!

Back