Fixing a pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I have an extract pale ale that has been kegged and aged about 2 months now. It still has a caramel like taste that I don't care for. It's not bad enough to dump but now good enough to earn a spot in my fridge (it holds 3 cornies).
I was thinking about boiling up a hop tea and then dumping it in to the beer to see if I can cover up the caramel taste a little bit. Has anyone done this?

It was a True Brew pale ale kit. I have gotten the caramel taste in that one and their IPA. A proffesional brewer told me he thought it was from their LME. I haven't had the problem since I started buying ingredients from Austin Homebrew.

What is the ingredient list? What type of yeast was used? I would not think that LME would cause it unless it was an LME that used a finished beer as a base.

In the future, try DME. I think it is much better

Alternately, steep some black patent & roasted barley & turn it into a porter or stout.

I don't have the ingredient list anymore.

I currently have 3/4 oz of perle pellets and 1 oz. of spalt pellets. I could pick up something else if there is a better hop for this, any thoughts?

Blend it with another beer.

I had a keg of ale that was not quite perfect, drinkable, yes, perfect, no. So I added 8 weizens to it and the flavor improved immensely.

Make Radlers by blending it with a lemon-lime soda.

I've totally dry hopped in the keg. I read a post by a Mod regarding it, and tried it out. I think you might try just adding hops in a hop ball/mesh steeping bag- it may be more effective than a tea. I had to let the Hop settle a while- it was odd at first, and then amazing within 10 days. Best practice might have been to let it decarb a bit- but I didn't do that at all.

I've totally dry hopped in the keg. I read a post by a Mod regarding it, and tried it out. I think you might try just adding hops in a hop ball/mesh steeping bag- it may be more effective than a tea. I had to let the Hop settle a while- it was odd at first, and then amazing within 10 days. Best practice might have been to let it decarb a bit- but I didn't do that at all.

Good idea, I think I'll try this first.

Latest posts

Back