Need an idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
I have about 13lbs, give or take, of clover honey... What should I do with it? Another larger batch of JOAM? Maybe a traditional mead?

Thanks in advance...

:mug:

Do a straight mead. You can always split into smaller batches, after the primary is done, and "spice" how you wish. :mug:

Good call... Just need to get some nutrients, energizer and d-47...

I'd do a straight traditional mead - a tsp of nutrient and energizer, some D-47 and some water...

I am assuming that would be add water until I hit the 5 gal. volume mark?

I have made 7 batches of mead using 3 different types of yeast. D-47 is the best overall:rockin:

Making a traditional mead is always a good choice as it affords the brewer the opportunity to flavor it however they may wish, if they desire to do so.

Yet, I would suggest that from what I've read so far in this topic you might consider these points:
  • D47 is a good yeast for a traditional mead, but it often requires a bit longer to age.
  • There are also other good yeast choices: BA-11, R2, 58W3, 71B, EC-1118 (I've used them all, and a few others)
  • You will need more than 1 tsp of nutrient to achieve an effective fermentation. A typical 5 gal batch requires about 2½ tsp of both Fermaid-K & DAP in a staggered addition (see the FAQ).

So... After whipping up my batch of mead, adding some nutrients and energizers, I let her sit... So a little over one month in, I just took a gravity reading... From 1.100 to 1.020... And surprisingly, a little sparkling at the moment... Airlock is still moving... What should I do next? I assume I don't need to add another bit of nutrient and energizer?...

Thanks!

:mug:

Read the FAQs. Hitest is very informative in those threads. Not trying to be an ass but what good is writing them if they are not read. Or you could just ship some to me for personal observations.:D

Geez.. What an ass!...

:D

I will have to review that thread... I went through it a few times... I would love to send ya some... Just lemme get to the point I can grasp a small clue as to what I am doing here and you may have a deal...

:ban:

(PS: after re-reading, going down stairs to do my last addition... Apparently I forgot my 2nd and got past that point... Oops!)

Well since I just read the FAQ, it says to rack off after gravity hits 1.000... I just did the third of the staggered additions... Will keep a better eye on it thru the month...

Right now you have an ABV of 10.??% and D47 is capable of 15% but I don't think you will see 15% exactly, so I think there is still room for a little more time. I think adding nutrient and energizer at this stage would NOT be a bad idea seeing you might be able to sqeeze some more alcohol out of those yeast. They might be a little tired. Give them a good degassing and add some nutrient/energizer take a SG reading after activity has ceased. Just my opinion and I am no expert... yet, but something to consider.

Back