Can I make a kegerator out of this fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA Brewer

Reaction score
Like the title says. A guy at work found an older but functional GE 6 cubic foot fridge in a corner of our warehouse. It's got an ice-cube shelf occupying the upper portion, and doesn't appear that big on the inside.

The total interior height is only 28.5", assuming I can figure out a way to remove the ice cube tray. Although it looks like the cooling element attaches to the metal ice-cube tray somehow, so I don't know if I could manage that...

The thing is 19" wide, with a little shelf in the back. There's 9.5" of space in front of the shelf, which is 5.5" deep itself.

Since the shelf is 7.5" tall, that gives me 21" of space on top of it. Could I fit the CO2 tank in there, behind two kegs?

26.5" clears my two-handle cornies with disconnects in place; the single handles are ~1/2"shorter than that. My 5lb CO2 tank with 2-gauge reg attached is 19" high. So you should be OK.

That "ice cube tray" sounds like a freezer section? If that is the case, some people bend those downward (carefully so as not to break the freon line) to make more vertical room for their kegs.

If it's a free fridge, I definitely say give it a shot. Search here for "corn sugar and alcohol" for advice on how to determine where to drill your hole for your tower. That is if you intend to install a tower.

Good luck. :mug:

I bent my freezer trap upward and out of the way, but it sounds like it might be big enough as-is. You've got to be REAL careful bending that thing; I let it all warm up, figuring warm metal would be less brittle than cold, and you've got to take it slow. If breaks, it's worthless.

Is it anything like this one? not a GE but an dold one just the same. I can fit three kegs and a CO2 tank (laying down) in it.

7985-Philco.jpg

Cheers

Back