Munton's Mild Ale Malt VS Gambrinus ESB Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBrewins

Reaction score
I'm brewing a mild and planned on Munton's Mild Ale Malt comprising the bulk of the grain bill. My local homebrew shop doesn't carry it, but they do carry Gambrinus ESB malt which the manager said was similar. Would the Gambrinus be a good substitute or should I just order the Mild Malt from an internet site?

I think you would be fine using the Gambrinus, although I can't say I've ever used it in a mild. Also, 'mild malt' isn't really necessary for a mild either. Any good quality British two-row or Maris Otter is fine and I actually prefer milds made with MO over mild malt.

I've used Munton's mild ale malt once before, and was completely underwhelmed. I used it in a brown ale, and it turned out bland and uninteresting. It's also paler than most MOs, which still strikes me as odd. I'm with bierhaus above; my preference is to use a good quality MO.

Latest posts

Back