Sugar Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
Recently I bottles my first batch and when priming I put sugar in each bottle. While this was time comsuming I wanted to try it this way first. The process worked fine and my beer after 2-3 weeks, is nicely carbonated.

I've read about you guys priming directly in the carboy or a bottling bucket.

I've heard rumors about tablets of sugar (i guess like sugar pills), but designed for priming. The tablet is pre-measured for 12oz bottles and you just drop it in prior to bottling the brew.

Any thoughts or have you heard of these. The sound quick and easy if your going to add to each bottle instead of a mass prime.

hi there.
i usu to use sugar all the time. 1 tea spoon fer 700ml bottle. nou i now use the sugar drops all the time. they are easy to use. and alot quicker to. i just put rubber gloves on and put then into the clean bottles so i have less chance of comtamination... maby im being a bit over the top but thats what i do.

but yeah i think they are great.. give them a go.

geeezz... sorry for all the spelling stuff ups. i should really proof read it...

I tried using Cooper's Carbonation Drops, a while ago. I didn't like them very well. It's been almost 2 months and the bottles have almost ZERO carbonation. I even ate one of the drops to see what it tasted like! It was a very sugary flavor. They look just like the old fashioned lemon drops. For some reason they just didn't work on this batch. I have some left over, so I'll try priming about 6 bottles with the drops and then keg the rest, on this next batch.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I bottled a Dunkel a month and a half ago with the bottling tabs. Just cracked one open and it has zero carbonation also. Could I sanitize the mouth of the bottles(all are swing top with new washers), crack it open, drop a tab in and reseal? I have about 6 24oz bottles left, and although I added 2 tabs per bottle, I'm afraid they won't be carbonated enough.

Can I add another 1/2 a tab and let sit for another month to carbonate some more? Any chance of them becoming bombs with only 1/2 a tab?

The tabs I just used called for 4 per 12oz not sure what brand they are they look like asprin and there was like 250 per bag & after 6 days I shook a bottle and I could see the bubbles flowing.

Ed_Savage said:
I tried using Cooper's Carbonation Drops, a while ago. I didn't like them very well. It's been almost 2 months and the bottles have almost ZERO carbonation. I even ate one of the drops to see what it tasted like! It was a very sugary flavor. They look just like the old fashioned lemon drops. For some reason they just didn't work on this batch. I have some left over, so I'll try priming about 6 bottles with the drops and then keg the rest, on this next batch.

How long did you ferment before bottling?

Back