American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellets tend to disintegrate. If you put them in not in a bag, they'll make you beer cloudy. I've done this, and its OK, but not ideal. If you use pellets I'd suggest a bag. Leaf hops can go straight in (or go into a bag).

If yours is not well enough attenuated, mine will probably be just the opposite! Just got it into the carboy. I had tried using beersmith's calcs for water into grain vs. my usual grain into pre-heated tun and water, and, to make a long story short, it mashed mostly a few degrees less than I had planned. I usually hit it right on!

OK, it won't be even slightly malty. Then there is that US-05 yeast attenuation, where I'm always over 80%, even with higher mash temps. It could be I'm drinking hop extract! Alcohol and hops. Good thing I like hops! We'll see.....

After 3 weeks primary, I got down to 1.010 (from 1.074!!!). I got a taste as I transfered to cold crash -- sure doesn't taste like 8.1% alchohol! The 108 IBUs are not at all overwhelming (no carbonation yet, though). This one is going to be scary - easy to quaff but high alcohol.:drunk:

Can't wait to get the gas on it. Gonna dry hop in the keg for the freshest aroma....

Rich

I brewed this up as a partial mash two weeks ago. I was a bit worried about getting poor attenuation due to the extract, so I mashed 5 1/2 pounds of grain at 148-149 for 90 minutes. I fermented it at 62 degrees and Nottingham took it from 1.073 to 1.010. Hehe..oops. Even with the low fermentation temperature, I had some pretty violent blow off activity. The hydrometer sample tasted fantastic. Definitely a dangerous drink. I can't wait to try it after the dry hopping.

I brewed this up as a partial mash two weeks ago. I was a bit worried about getting poor attenuation due to the extract, so I mashed 5 1/2 pounds of grain at 148-149 for 90 minutes. I fermented it at 62 degrees and Nottingham took it from 1.073 to 1.010. Hehe..oops. Even with the low fermentation temperature, I had some pretty violent blow off activity. The hydrometer sample tasted fantastic. Definitely a dangerous drink. I can't wait to try it after the dry hopping.

What was your reason for using Nottingham and not Pacman yeast or maybe or maybe a California #5 yeast?

do you think 10% of the DME should be replaced with sugar to help it finish low enough?

also instead of buying centennials, would any of these be close enough to substitute with? Cascade, amarillo, columbus, magnum, mt hood

Not sure about the sugar but I only got down to 1016 so possibly but I'm no expert.
Also, my handy Hop Lovers Guide says :
Centennial AA - 8-11.5% ( Alpha Acid )
Typical beer style - All Ale Styles, has been used with wheat beer.
Possible substitutes - Cascade, Columbus or blend of the two.
Flavor Description - Medium with floral and citrus tones.

I decided to go with 2oz of centennial whole leaf, dry hopping as we speak, couple more days to bottle...smells heavenly, cant wait.

I'm doing the basic recipe, but have substituted all amarillo. Hydro sample tasted fabulous. Looking forward to dry hopping this in a few days. However, it is now its own DIPA, not a clone in any way. I don't care. I just want to make delicious beer.:D

I have a foam/head question. It's been well over 3 weeks since I bottled my Ruination clone and I'm having an issue with foam. Basically, when poured, it's acting like it's only been 1 week or 2 in the priming phase - and half of the pint glass becomes foam.

I'm not sure if it needs more time to calm down as it was a bit of a bigger beer or what else is causing the foam. Any thoughts?

I have a foam/head question. It's been well over 3 weeks since I bottled my Ruination clone and I'm having an issue with foam. Basically, when poured, it's acting like it's only been 1 week or 2 in the priming phase - and half of the pint glass becomes foam.

I'm not sure if it needs more time to calm down as it was a bit of a bigger beer or what else is causing the foam. Any thoughts?
Have you chilled it down well before opening? I find it really takes a few days in the fridge to get the CO2 to go into the liquid (C02 is more soluble in the beer when cold).

Have you chilled it down well before opening? I find it really takes a few days in the fridge to get the CO2 to go into the liquid (C02 is more soluble in the beer when cold).

It's been well chilled and had plenty of time to condition in the bottle. I'm thinking that because it was dry-hopped, the normal amount of priming sugar may have been too much in this case.

Should the DME version maybe include more lbs of DME because it seems that everyone doing that version has come up sort on OG. Mine came out at 1.040 with 8lbs and 1lb crystal so I boiled up another lb of DME I had laying around and brought it up to 1.052.

Should the DME version maybe include more lbs of DME because it seems that everyone doing that version has come up sort on OG. Mine came out at 1.040 with 8lbs and 1lb crystal so I boiled up another lb of DME I had laying around and brought it up to 1.052.

I don't think it's possible to get 1.040 with 8 pounds of DME. You should get 1.070ish. Are you sure it was mixed up well? Sometimes the "heavier" wort sinks and if you take a sample from the top you could get a low OG reading.

DME should give you 44 gravity points per pound. 8 pounds is 352 gravity points. Divided by 5 (the gallons you're making) and you come up with 70.40. That means you should get about 1.0704 from 8 pounds DME in 5 gallons.

1.040? With 8 lbs of DME?

I just brewed the extract version two days ago, replacing the 20L Crystal with 60L Crystal and subbing Warrior for Magnum, adding the last 4 lbs of DME at flame out and my OG was 1.083. A little over what this recipe projected but not too bad.

Well I now have 9lbs of Munton's Extra Light DME in my 5 gallon fermenter. :D So I guess we'll see. Maybe it was all down at the bottom I don't know, I even calibrated my hydrometer with tap water because I was surprised by how low my OG was. I'm thinking about dry hopping with the 2oz Centennial plus the .25 of Magnum that was left over from the boil, I've never used Magnum in anything before but it smelled like it would make a good dry hop.

It's been well chilled and had plenty of time to condition in the bottle. I'm thinking that because it was dry-hopped, the normal amount of priming sugar may have been too much in this case.

I don't see what dry hopping would do the amount of sugar you need, unless you just mean that you racked over less volume to the bottling bucket that you expected. You prime based on the volume in the bottling bucket. The hops will soak up some liquid, but not enough to seriously affect the amount of sugar you use.

How much sugar did you actually put in what final volume (and what temp was the fermentation at)?

I also tasted my first bottle of this last night. Mine was a PM, and finished a touch high (1.015), so is just a little sweet. But man, it was full of grapefruit flavor, it almost tasted like a fresh grapefruit. So much fresher than any bottle of Ruination I've ever had. And then the enamel stripping bitterness comes through... Very good!

I don't see what dry hopping would do the amount of sugar you need, unless you just mean that you racked over less volume to the bottling bucket that you expected. You prime based on the volume in the bottling bucket. The hops will soak up some liquid, but not enough to seriously affect the amount of sugar you use.

How much sugar did you actually put in what final volume (and what temp was the fermentation at)?

I put in what I've put in every batch I've made so far...3/4 cup for 5 gallons and the temp was at 65-68 for the entire primary/secondary fermentation.

Somebody else made the suggestion that dry hopping might add to slightly more carbonation.

I think we need to haul US-05 in for rehab. Mine went from 1.074 to 1.012. I guess 152* was too cool, but I might like it better anyway. IPA's are best nice and dry IMO. The alcohol is more than I wanted now though. I was shooting for just under 7% and got just over 8%:drunk:

First time brewing a beer this big (new bigger pot:ban:), so I assumed the yeast would peter out a bit. Guess not:eek:

So since I'm now going to have a higher alcohol content than I should, should I now dry hop with more hops? Will that extra alcohol diminish my hop flavor? I have time to get more hops if needed. Its only been in the fermenter since Sunday morning. All I have to dry hop with right now is the 2oz of Centennials that the recipe called for.

So since I'm now going to have a higher alcohol content than I should, should I now dry hop with more hops? Will that extra alcohol diminish my hop flavor? I have time to get more hops if needed. Its only been in the fermenter since Sunday morning. All I have to dry hop with right now is the 2oz of Centennials that the recipe called for.

The dry hops will not balance the alcohol; you need bitterness(boil hops) for that. There is this "hop bittering extract" liquid that can add bitterness post fermentation, I think, but I've no direct experience. That said, 100+ IBU should be enough for almost anything. Just make certain your carbonation is right, and the bitterness will come out on the tongue like it should.

The dry hops will not balance the alcohol; you need bitterness(boil hops) for that. There is this "hop bittering extract" liquid that can add bitterness post fermentation, I think, but I've no direct experience. That said, 100+ IBU should be enough for almost anything. Just make certain your carbonation is right, and the bitterness will come out on the tongue like it should.

I agree - I have 8%+ and just under 100IBUs in my beer. I'm expecting it to be nice and tasty. Until my taste buds check out anyway:drunk: I got no alcohol flavor in my pre-dry hop sample.

has anyone brewed this recipe and the one Stone published in byo? this one seems more accurate but than again, the one in BYO uses a lot less hops, so i rather go with whats more close

EDIT: i guess there is isnt actually a big difference between the amount of hops in the recipes, but has anyone brewed both?

has anyone brewed this recipe and the one Stone published in byo? this one seems more accurate but than again, the one in BYO uses a lot less hops, so i rather go with whats more close

EDIT: i guess there is isnt actually a big difference between the amount of hops in the recipes, but has anyone brewed both?

I haven't brewed both, just the extract recipe in BYO...which was spot-on. I was gonna give this one a shot too in the future.

does anyone have a picture of their finished product? would love to see what this looks like in a glass.

I've been drinking this for several weeks now. Mine used mostly Pale Ale malt instead of regular 2-row. I now think that is a mistake for this brew. While still good, the slightly maltier profile of the Pale Ale malt keeps it from being exactly like Ruination. And like I surmised, it goes down way too easy for an 8% brew.

I mention this in case someone is thinking about going down this path.

So next time it will be Yooper's recipe exactly, with the possible substitution of Columbus for bittering. Or maybe it's time to try one of her other great recipe contributions....

Rich

Just placed an order with Brewmaster's Warehouse to brew this up next week. I can taste it already!
I think I may go downstairs and get some centennials to chew on to calm me down!
Thanks for the recipe!

OK, I tapped mine last weekend and had a few people over to give it a taste test. Mine isn't this exact recipe, but close. All I can say is:ban::ban::tank::rockin:!!

At just over 8%, this is unbelievably easy to drink:drunk:

i started this on monday. my mind wasnt quite working right. first, i forgot to make a starter. heck i started mashing and realized the smack pack (pacman) was still in the fridge. so i pulled it out and got it going. when i pitched the yeast, it had been out of the fridge for about 8 hours. not near as long as i wanted but it will do. second, i ended up getting better efficiency and had an OG of 1.080. little high, especially for no starter, but we'll see. third, fermentation took about 36 hours. this is only my second brew with the smack pack yeast, and both have taken about 36 hours to start.

anyways, looking forward to this one and thanks for the recipe!

Just had my first (and second) pints of this last night after a LONG drive back from North Carolina, this recipe is great! I love it!
Only thing I was surprised about was it was not that clear. Been sitting in the kegerator for about three weeks. Nice and cold and carbed perfect. Still some hop junk floating.
I don't care though!

Just had my first (and second) pints of this last night after a LONG drive back from North Carolina, this recipe is great! I love it!
Only thing I was surprised about was it was not that clear. Been sitting in the kegerator for about three weeks. Nice and cold and carbed perfect. Still some hop junk floating.
I don't care though!

I brewed the extract version of this about 3 months ago with the following replacements - 20L Crystal with 60L Crystal, Dry hop with 2 oz Columbus (instead of Centennial), subbed Warrior for Magnum. I used whole leaf hops (in a grain bag) to dry hop, and I think the combination of that and leaving the trub from the boil in the primary (instead of keeping it out when I transferred from the brewpot to the primary) left me with only 43 bottles from a 5 gallon batch.

I tried the first one 3 weeks after bottling and it was OK. The taste improved drastically after sitting for a week or two (I haven't been going through this batch all that quickly - due to the 8.7 ABV :cross: ). I definitely have gunk floating around in the glass after a pour - it settles somewhat after a minute or two. But overall an awesome recipe - which I will definitely try again! One or two of these ends my night (fairly quickly) with a smile on my face!

I brewed this with only slight variations to Yoopers Recipe,

15lbs Pale
.5 lbs Crystal 10L
.5 lbs Crystal 20L

Hops per recipe
Mashed @ 149
WLP 001

Hydro sample after 10 days of Primary went from 1.071 to 1.013. The sample tasted fantastic, hop bitterness and flavor were great for a warm flat beer. I added 1 ounce of centennial dry hops today and plan on adding another ounce in about a week, Cold crashing and bottling.

I want to thank Yooper for posting a recipe that looks like it should turn out great.
:mug:

how long do i mash it for? single infusion? sorry, i am a noob at all grain. this will be my second one.

I do single infusion at 150-152 for 60 min. Double batch sparge.
My second batch of this has been carbing for 10 days now. I will sample it on Saturday. Can't wait.

I made this Ruination Clone about 7 weeks ago & brought it to our brewer's guild meeting last night. It was pretty popular!

Love the way it turned out. Used LME vs. DME (saved me about $15). So thanks for posting this recipe.

On another note :off: I tried a mead & boche last night for the first time. Think I'll start with your JOAM recipe next!
:mug:

Back