Hailing from San Marcos, Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swordsman

Reaction score
I'm the manager of a beer store in San Marcos called the Yellow Store. I've been looking forward to getting into homebrewing, finally taking the plunge. Any suggestions on what kind of equipment to get? The plan is to go to Austin Homebrew and get the super deluxe beer making kit, with carboy and stockpot upgrades. (info at http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=401). Anything I should add, not get, etc? Would you guys recommend starting with extracts or mashes?

Go with an extract kit with steeping grains. This will get you started. When you want to move to All Grain, put the word out and ask to attend a local AG session. You'll see how easy it is (it seems complicated from reading) and you'll learn lots and your first solo session will go much better.

Welcome fellow Texan!

I also recomment substituting Better Bottles for the glass carboys. It should be about the same price, and it's much safer. Breaking a carboy is neither a rite of passage nor a badge of honor.

Welcome!

TL

Welcome aboard! Good to see another Texan found the site. As Ed stated Extract and specialty grains is about the best way to jump into the hobby.

thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to pick up the equipment this weekend! I'll look into the better bottles, austin homebrew says they have them.

Back