New Batch of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there im making a new batch of beer soon and was curious about this list of ingreients would they be to much for the batch of beer. I mostly make only dark beers such as stouts porters or bocks and they usually are about 6.5 abv or higher.
My batch consists of 3 lbs of golden promise grain
1 lb of crystal 150l grain
1 lb of black patent grain
1 lb of black roasted barley grain
.5 lb of acid sour grain

1 oz magnum pellet hops
1 oz fuggle pellet hops
1 oz chinook pellet hops
1 oz nugget pellet hops

3 lbs dark liquid malt extract
2 lbs of raw cane sugar
15 gs of dry ale yeast

I usually make extract kits and im starting to do partial mash instead just to try something different.
I think this list would work together for a batch of beer but im curious if the grain bill is to large, because i have seen grain bills be smaller, like a few pounds and this is like 6 and half.
Also will 3 lbs of liquid extract be enough or should i use more? I was wondering what you guys think, thanks for any input.

I think you'll get too much flavor if you use an entire pound of the black patent and roasted barley. Cut them down or you'll get a REALLY intense bitterness. As far as the extract, 3 lbs is low for a 5 gallon batch unless you want it to be really low ABV. You could always make a 3 gallon batch if you don't have any more.

For a 6 gallon batch, your ABV will chime in at ~3% if you only use 3 lbs of LME. You could use some sugar but I wouldn't recommend that much. You want a small percentage of your fermentables to be from a sugar like cane sugar. I would take a look at some of the existing stout recipes in the database and get a good idea of where your amounts of grains should be at. I would expect that you will want to cut your roasted barley in half and maybe do 1/4 of the black patent malt. I have never used the acid sour grain (or even heard of it!) so I can't say anything about that. Also, what are you planning for a hop schedule?

im also curious if 3 pounds of golden promise is to much grain as well. I will cut the black patent n roasted barley down but not sure if the golden promise will be to much of much of it in the natch.

3 lbs of base malt is fine. You can go as high with the base malt as you are able to (just sub in/out base malt for LME).

If you cut back to 1/2 lb each of black patent and roasted barley, you'll have:
3 lbs Golden Promise, 1 lb Crystal 120, 8 oz black patent, 8 oz roasted barley, 3 lbs LME, 2 lbs cane sugar

That'll get you in the vicinity of a 5.3% ABV (assuming about 75% efficiency). I wouldn't use that much sugar with this beer, myself. And you didn't post the hopping schedule--that 1 oz of Magnum will be more than enough bittering for this unless you're trying for some kind of crossover hop-bomb.

What style of beer are you hoping to make? http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php has a useful style index; you don't need to be wedded to those guidelines, but it helps if you at least have a starting point so we can figure out what you want (even if it's just a starting point with some modifiers, like "I want something like an American stout, but with more hop flavor and an extra-bitter finish")

Im sorry the hop schedule is 1 oz magum for full 60 min boil then at 30 min mark add 1 oz of fuggle and chinook hops, and the 15 min of the boil add 1 oz of nugget hops.
I want to make a stout type of beer thats is flavorfull but dry as well. Something along those line ive been trying to make a stout and it ends up tasting like a porter. I usually use black trecel as well but im leaving that out this time i think.

Been a while since I've been on this forum having been making beer or mead in a while been busy running a craft store and a normal day job now I'm only running the store so I have a dome time first I'm making a cyser mead then after that this recipe was never able to make when I asked long time ago thank you all for ur feedback
When ever I make it I give feedback how it turns out and if I will ever make again lol if I could figure out the hops used in a beer called hop devil I would use those instead its a great beer the hops make the beer really shine thru everyone have a good day

Latest posts

Back