Pumpkin Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothmog

Reaction score
All this talk of pumpkin brews lately, and them starting to show up in local bars got me thinking. I've always loved pumpkin spice beers, and I much prefer DARK beers. I've only done 6 or 7 batches now, but thought I could handle a little experimentation. My favorite batch to this point, as well as that of my friends, was an Irish Milk Stout. Mouth watering now typeing it. Anyway, decided to go with the same recipe I used to make that one, and roasted 2- 29oz cans of libbys real pumpkin, covered with 1 cup brown suger, for 35 min at 350 deg. Prepared wort as normal, but added roasted pumpkin in a large grain bag for entire boil. When I removed the grain bag at the end of the boil there was less than a cup of "material" left in it. I added 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice at flameout, and another 2 tsp in primary. Its bubbling happily away now, and smells AMAZING! I think when I rack it to secondary I'll add another can of pumpkin for good measure, that Irish Stout is a strong flavor to punch through. Cannot wait to try this. Prob gonna wait to crack a bottle until thanksgiving. Looks very much like "true blood" of the series by the same name in my glass carboy. :mug:

make sure you reply to this thread and let us know how it turns out. I'm bottling my pumpkin ale tomorrow. I was having an irish stout reading this post.

I am trying the same thing tomorrow. The guy I was talking to at the brew shop suggested that I omit the hops, but I was thinking that it would be too sweet. What did you do?

All this talk of pumpkin brews lately, and them starting to show up in local bars got me thinking. I've always loved pumpkin spice beers, and I much prefer DARK beers. I've only done 6 or 7 batches now, but thought I could handle a little experimentation. My favorite batch to this point, as well as that of my friends, was an Irish Milk Stout. Mouth watering now typeing it. Anyway, decided to go with the same recipe I used to make that one, and roasted 2- 29oz cans of libbys real pumpkin, covered with 1 cup brown suger, for 35 min at 350 deg. Prepared wort as normal, but added roasted pumpkin in a large grain bag for entire boil. When I removed the grain bag at the end of the boil there was less than a cup of "material" left in it. I added 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice at flameout, and another 2 tsp in primary. Its bubbling happily away now, and smells AMAZING! I think when I rack it to secondary I'll add another can of pumpkin for good measure, that Irish Stout is a strong flavor to punch through. Cannot wait to try this. Prob gonna wait to crack a bottle until thanksgiving. Looks very much like "true blood" of the series by the same name in my glass carboy. :mug:
Would like to see your recipe for this. Im on the same kick I love pumpkin spice beers and actually just bottled a AHS Pumpkin Ale today and cant wait to taste it. Yours sounds interesting.

I'm planning on doing a parti-gyle and make a RIS and pumpkin stout. I was leaning toward adding oatmeal for the second batch but now considering lactose after reading your recipe. Maybe I'll use both. : )

I don't think adding more pumpkin to the secondary will do anything unless you roast it again. That's what brings out the flavor.

I bought a midwest supplies golden wheat extract kit and think of turning it into either a pumpkin wheat by adding 4ounces pumpkin and maple brown sugar instead of using priming sugar.... Or just making it a maple wheat beer instead using maple brown sugar and 4 ounces of REAL VT maple syrup. I am undecided, but your recipe is making my mouth water right now lol.

Is there any news on this beer? I'm brewing a Milk Pumkin Spiced Stout tomorrow and I just came across this one.

MMM, I love the smell of fermentation in the morning...

I brewed mine yesterday (finally got around to it). Brew went very well, hit all of my temps, got 80% efficiency.

I roasted the pumpkin in the oven @ 300 for 45 min. Put my strike water in the mash tun, put my grains in, mashed @ 155. Batch sparged with no stuck grains, the rice hulls did the trick. I upped the base malt a bit as well as the lactose since I will be putting coffee in this as well.

Brewed Recipe:

10 lbs 2-Row
3.75 lbs Pumpkin
1.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
1.0 lbs Rice Hulls
0.5 lbs 60-L

0.5 oz Columbus (15.6%) @ 60 min

Thames Valley Ale Yeast (1275)

1.5 lbs Lactose @ 10 min
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon @ 1 min
1 tsp Pumpkin Spice @ 1 min

Going to add the coffee either in the secondary as whole beans, as the guys at my LHBS claim that they had great success doing it that way, or cold brew and add at bottling.

Taste is amazing! Post-boil was sweet but not overly, mildly roasty, lots of chocolate qualities, and perfect pumpkin pie taste that finishes a little bitter from the hop.

It's bubbling like crazy right now so I'll update as I try more later this week.

My absolute favorite pumpkin beer recipe is a pumpkin porter clone my LHBS developed in conjunction with 4 peaks brewery here in Phoenix. It has a faint hint of pumpkin pie spice and a nice mild pumpkin flavor. It finishes a little sweet (mine fermented out to 1.020 but usually gets down around 1.014-016) but is still very quaffable.

Steeping Grains
1/2 Lb US Pale
1/2 Lb Munich
1/2 Lb Special Roast
1/2 Lb Chocolate Malt
1/4 Lb Caraffa II
6oz Crystal 90L

Malt Extracts
6.6Lbs Pale Malt LME

Hops
1Oz Kent Golding(60 min)
1Oz Fuggle (Last 5 min)

Other
Wyeast 1028 London
1tsp Brew Saltz
1tsp Irish Moss
1 Can Libby’s Pumpkin
3/4tsp Cinnamon
1/4tsp Ground Ginger
1/4tsp Ground Clove

http://beer.hexkrak.com/2010/10/15/bought-punkys-pumpkin-porter-ingredients/

WOW!!!! Well tomorrow is offically 4 wks from bottling, so this should be carbonated adequately. However, I'll be at the firehouse for 24 hrs starting tomorrow morn at 0700. Guess I'll try a bottle tonite! How much difference can 1 day make?
Its incredible. Easily my favorite I've ever made. Very dark, orangey color. Crystal clear, no sediment of floaters. Great orange head. Excellent lacing on the glass. The Irish stout still comes through, but is heavily accented with actual pumpkin flavor and the pie spices popular this time of year. Can't wait to get a few bottles into the hands of some good friends for an honest, impartial opinion.

HexKrak said:
My absolute favorite pumpkin beer recipe is a pumpkin porter clone my LHBS developed in conjunction with 4 peaks brewery here in Phoenix. It has a faint hint of pumpkin pie spice and a nice mild pumpkin flavor. It finishes a little sweet (mine fermented out to 1.020 but usually gets down around 1.014-016) but is still very quaffable.

Steeping Grains
1/2 Lb US Pale
1/2 Lb Munich
1/2 Lb Special Roast
1/2 Lb Chocolate Malt
1/4 Lb Caraffa II
6oz Crystal 90L

Malt Extracts
6.6Lbs Pale Malt LME

Hops
1Oz Kent Golding(60 min)
1Oz Fuggle (Last 5 min)

Other
Wyeast 1028 London
1tsp Brew Saltz
1tsp Irish Moss
1 Can Libby’s Pumpkin
3/4tsp Cinnamon
1/4tsp Ground Ginger
1/4tsp Ground Clove

http://beer.hexkrak.com/2010/10/15/bought-punkys-pumpkin-porter-ingredients/

OK, I am SO EXCITED I found this post! MY wife and I used to live within walking distance of 4 Peaks - went there all the time - and we would get so excited when the pumpkin porter would come out. I am psyched to brew this! Thank you so much for posting this recipie!!

Its incredible. Easily my favorite I've ever made. Very dark, orangey color. Crystal clear, no sediment of floaters. Great orange head. Excellent lacing on the glass. The Irish stout still comes through, but is heavily accented with actual pumpkin flavor and the pie spices popular this time of year.

gothmog,
If you're still reading this thread, any chance of a recipe? If not, I guess we can all improvise upon our own versions of a Milk Stout but I'm curious about yours since you obviously did something right. Thanks!

Love the idea of a pumpkin coffee stout. I live near a WaWa so pumpkin spiced coffee is pretty popular. I haven't brewed this yet but was looking to do something of a pumpkin coffee milk stout. I am dead-set on using real pumpkin.

Anybody have any advice or tweaks before I dive in?

5 gallon batch

"Pumpkin Latte"
Rough draft:

Steeping Grains:
9 lb. – US 2-Row
2 lb. –Rice Hulls
1 lb. –Flaked Barley
1 lb. –Carmel/Crystal -60L
1 lb. – Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb.-Roasted Barley
1 lb.-Lactose (end of boil?)

Hops
0.5 - Magnum 60min
0.5 - Magnum 30min

Extras
2-3oz. – Ground Coffee
60oz. of Pumpkin canned
1tsp – Pumpkin pie spice.
1tsp - Cinnamon
0.25 oz. – Vanilla extract

Yeast WLP001

Planning to cook the pumpkin for 25 minutes at 350F
Looking to steep the grains and pumpkin at about 155 and sparge at about 170.
Was going to cold brew a tea with the coffee and spices and add to secondary.

If I move ahead soon, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Back