Rectangular false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Every false bottom I have seen for sale is round. Has anyone found a source for a rectangular false bottom or made one from perforated SS sheet??

Is there a functional reason why the rectangular shape is less effective then round ones?

Cause a rectangular FB doesn't fit in a round pot very well.

And for the cooler crowd, a manifold is easier and less expensive to obtain.

Yes. You were clear.

As I said, I suspect it has more to do with the ease of the manifold and that, while not all, many cooler mashers batch sparge thus negating the need for any potentialy efficiency increase with a FB.

And then there is the logistics of adequately supporting such a large, flat surface under the weight of such a broad filter bed. Sure, it's not unsurmountable but, then again, not a problem for a manifold either.

I do not recall anythoing written about rectangular configurations being inherently less efficient but, if there is anything it'd likely be here.

I was kinda sorta thinkin the same thing. I'm just thinkin' the cost of the FB in this case would be a bit high to justify doing it.

Back