Wit tastes like celery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My sister took a drink of my wit and said it had the taste of celery in it. She said she liked it and went back for more, but still a bit disturbing. Worst was that after that, I could taste it too. Coriander, chamomile, orange peel, but I’m pretty sure I left out celery. Are there any identifiable problems linked to this flavor?

Edit:
So, I was lazy. Just did a search and found it could be the coriander. Anything else?

Did you pull the spices out of your kitchen cabinets? maybe you took celery seed instead of coriander? because none of the spices listed should have the slightest celery flavor.

. . . because none of the spices listed should have the slightest celery flavor.

Read another post the said that coriander from Mexico can have a celery taste. That Indian is better? Mine came from the LHBS, but I'm not sure where they get it.

didnt know that, but I would think that the LHBS knew what they were doing when they ordered the stuff. but maybe they didnt, if you have any left over you could taste it to see if its the cause.

I don't think everyone knows what corriander really tastes like. Ask your sister to chew a celery seed and corriander (cilantro seed) back to back and note the difference. It might seem obvious to people that already know the two tastes.

Can you also confirm whether it is a cooked vegetable flavor.

No, just a hint of raw celery. I was surprised that she picked this up. She had no idea of the style of this beer. A good thing because she had no preconceived opinion. I was having her sample an assortment of my beers. She owned a liquor store, and has a good palate.

Back