Pecans in a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a pecan porter?

I'm giving it a shot tomorrow afternoon after work. I'm calling it simply Pecan Brown Porter. Some of the numbers are strange because I scaled it up slightly

Partial Mash, 5.5gal batch:
4.25 lbs DME
2.25 lbs Brown Malt
1.75 lbs Maris Otter
.75 lbs Black Patent Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt (just tossed in there for good measure)
0.5 lbs roasted pecans (roasted 3 times @ 350F for 8-10 mins....watch carefully! they can go from good to burnt QUICKLY)

1.65oz Fuggles @ 60min
.6 oz Fuggles @ 5min

White Labs WLP013 London Ale Yeast (starter)

1.055 OG
1.015 FG
5.2% ABV
Mash: 60mins @ 153F

This one should be interesting with the pecans. I'm inspired by Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan, which was a staple beer of mine when I was in college down at MSU. I got a late start on this one, seeing as I want it ready the week of Xmas, but I think it'll be delicious, even rushed a bit.

Thoughts?

It looks good, I like the 3x roasting. If you chop them and blot them with linen clothes, you should be able to get a substantial amount of oil out of them. Might look into some pecan extract as well, I don't know if it exists but I know hazelnut extract can be really nice.

It looks good, I like the 3x roasting. If you chop them and blot them with linen clothes, you should be able to get a substantial amount of oil out of them. Might look into some pecan extract as well, I don't know if it exists but I know hazelnut extract can be really nice.

From what I understand, from reading other posts regarding pecans in brown ales, pecan extract doesn't fare so well in beer. This came from one of Lazy Magnolia's employees who happens to be a forum member.

Anyhoo, with the holiday season approaching fast, I needed to get a brown ale or porter out. I did a nut brown 2 yrs ago, an Old Fezziwig clone (it sucked) last year, so I figured try a porter......WITH PECANS. :D

Clownshoes out of ipswich does a pecan pie porter thats pretty tasty. Also have u thought of adding some crystal malt? The carmel flavor might go well with the pecans

Nah, I didn't think about the Crystal. I also didnt think about any Wheat or Carapils to help give the beer a chance at having a head.

Those will be for next time. As long as it tastes good (I think the brown, black patent, and choc malt should take care of that), then I'll be satisfied, considering I'm already rushed to get this drinkable by Xmas.

That recipe sounds good (feel free to send me one lol) I just love the taste from crystal malt so my opinion is a little biased.

Back