Palate Training Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnel

Reaction score
Do any kit's exist out there to further train the palate for tasting beer and being able to pin point certain flavors and off flavors such as Diacetyl. I've seen a kit with a bunch of hops which i'm really not interested in, more interested in something judges might use or train with so I can become a better evaluator of my own brews.

Do any kit's exist out there to further train the palate for tasting beer and being able to pin point certain flavors and off flavors such as Diacetyl. I've seen a kit with a bunch of hops which i'm really not interested in, more interested in something judges might use or train with so I can become a better evaluator of my own brews.

Sure. Siebel produces a variety of kits one of which has been provided to BJCP study groups. This kit is very good with lots of off flavors and enough to make at least 20 samples per flavor. It is about $150, free to study groups affiliated with BJCP exams, and $50 once a year to BJCP members.

If you find a BJCP member who will order it and 18 other people that is just a couple of bucks each.

There are smaller kits out there (both in terms of amount of the off flavor and number of flavors) that might be cheaper, but it is unlikely they will be cheaper than the BJCP member price for the Siebel kit.

The BJCP study guide has a table listing suggestions for recreating some off flavors with things you can buy in a grocery store or LHBS. This might be a good place to start.

Yep there's kits with little bottles of the flavor compounds. You mix a tiny amount in rather flavorless beer, but as far as I remember you just smell it, but maybe you can drink some, but make sure it's OK first! Most "flavors" are actually smelled, not tasted on the tongue. When I did sensory training at the UC Davis Master Brewers program they mixed the flavor compounds with Coors light. You might be able to order a kit from Siebel, one of the other brewing schools, and I'm sure it has instructions.

That is exactly what i was trying to find, thanks guys I will look into some of the instructional institutions!

There is a set of Recipes in the BJCP exam guide that allow you to make sample problem beer from a clean commercial beer. Example put a clear glass beer in south facing window for 3 days, or add 1/8 teaspoon of wine tannen in a beer. You will find a whole page of them in the BJCP training guide.

Latest posts

Back