Does all grain mean no hops at all??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
When someone refers to a recipe being all grain does that mean no hops are used at all??

If not what does it mean?

Also if thats the case can you name a type of all grain beer?

Nope, all grain means brewing with no extract and getting all of your fermentable sugars from mashing grain. There are hops in it as well.

I figured that because hops have to be in beer.... without it its not beer. LOL! Thanks for the answers.

So I made an all extract hefe brew yesterday. Most people would say extract taste worst then all grain correct?

All grain simply refers to another way of brewing. You get the wort from mashing the grain (soaking it in hot water) to activate enzymes that turn the starches in the grain into fermentable sugars. Extract is nothing more than the result of that mashing with 99% of the water sucked out of it, leaving behind the sugars in their powdered form.

Hops are needed in all beers for bitterness at the very least, quite often flavor and aroma.

+1 to Shecky.
Many will say all-grain tastes better, but carefully made extract beers can and do win awards. More than the extract, attention to fermentation temperatures, proper yeast pitching volumes, and sanitation are critical.

I figured that because hops have to be in beer.... without it its not beer. LOL! Thanks for the answers.

So I made an all extract hefe brew yesterday. Most people would say extract taste worst then all grain correct?

Well you can make a beer without hops, using gruit instead.

So are you saying you mad an extract batch without any hops? Hmmmm, that might be a bit different!:confused:

You could add a sanitized hop tea and maybe dry hop to get some hoppiness in!

Just an idea!

way to work that dumb and dumber quote in there. Thought I was on a soup forum for a minute. Hhhmmmm, hop soup, there's an idea.

what's sticky, is that an ingredient in all grain?

I just spent 3 months torturing a laborer with "g'day mate" and " lets throw another shrimp on the barby", so if I missed that one, I'd be dumb. The joke was that he's "straight off the boat" Irish, and apparently never saw the movie, since he told me " I'm fookin Idish, ya ginny jerkoff"

Many will say all-grain tastes better, but carefully made extract beers can and do win awards.

Strange but true! I just got a silver at the Hangar 24 competition for my Swooper Stout, an all grain that I was really proud of. I also got a gold for a simple extract-based belgian dubbel and a silver for an even simpler extract brown. Which I was really happy about, but the brown was just dark DME, Cascade hops and US-05.

What about an all grain gruit...oh ya still not beer......:tank:

Back