Off the topper extract full boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing the off the topper kit by northern Brewer and was curious what the full volume boil should be. If anyone has any insight I appreciate it.

Your boil volume should be whatever you can fit in your pot, as well as boil and cool, to give you 5 gallons at the end.

I boil off two gallons per hour in the winter but others boil off 1 gallon per hour, so I start with 7 gallons and others start with 6 gallons per hour.

What is your normal boil off? If it's 1.5 gallons per hour, you can start with 6.5 gallons in the pot.

So, did you just boil water for an hour to see what the boil off would be or did you just pay attention to an actual boil and noted the boil off rate for later brews?

This may be amateur thinking, but maybe there's no harm in starting with 6 gallons and topping off afterwards if needed, and then keeping that info for next time. I would think wort and water might boil off at different rates.

I'd think that the water in the wort would boil off at the same rate, but that is not experience talking.

Latest posts

Back