Did I need to make a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
So I made a new recipe for a IPA with the help of my LHBS, and the OG came out to be 1.080... about 20 points higher than I expected. It was a PM, but I don't have the recipe on me atm. I will post it once I get back to school.

My question is regarding whether or not I needed a yeast starter for this beer. I rehydrated a packet of US-05 about an hour or two before I started brewing and added a fair amount of table sugar to the mix. By the end of the brew, it was churning along nicely. Once fermenting, it bubbled pretty vigorously for about three days, and now has slowed significantly.

Did I need a yeast starter? I am going to measure the gravity on Monday when I get back. I was just browsing the forums and found people talking about yeast starters for high OG beers. Now I am nervous. If I did need a yeast starter and the gravity is very high when I measure Monday, is there anything I can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks!
Chans

Did you measure your OG before you topped off your wort? 20 points higher is a pretty significant amount.

As for the yeast it is fine. I just did an IPA with S-05 and the OG was 1.076 and it has attenuated down to 1.013 after 13 days. I've read that S-05 is good up to 10% ABV with no issues.

Back