When to add yeast at bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on this, but haven't found a definitive answer. Basically, are there any standard times for when you would add more yeast at bottling?...

1) Is there a certain OG that once you're over, the yeast remaining after fermentation will be too stressed to carbonate properly?

2) Is there a certain length of time for bulk aging/secondary that you would normally add more yeast when bottling?

What does everyone think/do themselves?

1) No, there's no single number that can determine this for you (or at least not one that is in the range relevant to HBers). It is a complex phenomena with many factors.

2) For me? Four months is kind of a threshold, but that is cautious. I'm sure in many cases I would actually get fine carbonation even at 5 or 6+ months.

Would it be a good general rule of thumb to say that as long as you initially pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, preferably in a starter, & are not bulk aging for 4+ months, you shouldn't need to pitch additional yeast at bottling?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Would it be a good general rule of thumb to say that as long as you initially pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast, preferably in a starter, & are not bulk aging for 4+ months, you shouldn't need to pitch additional yeast at bottling?

That has always been my experience.

I agree with this 100%.

Back