Aging beer in a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamilt22

Reaction score
This isn't really brewing related but...

I like to age a lot beer. To this point, I've never wanted to age a beer that came in a can. But I got my hands on a bunch of Oscar Blues' Ten Fidy. It's around 10% abv, so I imagine it will keep for a while.

Are there any considerations for aging in aluminum vs glass? Or just throw it in the cellar with everything else?

one of the best i've had. certainly my favorite of the 'commonly available for a reasonable price' stouts.

i'm curious how it develops over the next few years.

i just read a thread about this very question on another site. Everyone seemed to agree that aging in the can is great. The inside of the can is lined somehow. Plus no light can get to it. I have put two Ten Fidy's away in the cellar. I'm looking forward to consuming them at a much later date.

Wow I had no idea that beer was so popular. I see it all the time, there must be 3-4 cases sitting at the beer store I frequent. Definitely gonna have to pick some up and age it.

Only problem with canned beer is it has an epoxy lining which has BPA in it...

Risky riskyyyyyy.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ealthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

It is what lines the cans to prevent aluminum - flavored beer. I don't know how long it takes to seep in, but I'm sure you won't be majorly affected by it, considering that we consume it on an everyday basis with cans.

Also, BPA would be seeping from the anti-oxidation caps in an aged beer in a glass bottle over time, even though it isn't directly in contact with the beer.

I think in moderation you'll be fine. Unless you're pounding these things back like college kids. Then you might have bigger things to worry about :D

Wow, good call on the BPA in cans. Have 3 2010 Ten Fidys in the cellar

Anyone know a cheap BPA meter? Is that even a thing?

So its also safe to say that any "Ball" branded can contains BPA?

From what I have read BPA is in the liners/epoxy of all canned stuff. It prevents the substances from leeching metal. Alcohol I would imagine aids in this process but don't quote me on that as I don't know how it reacts with the BPA molecule.

I have a can of M.A.S.H. beer I've had for what 20 years..tasted like crap then, don't figure it got any better with age...

Ten Fid should age well because of the alcohol content...

If you want to age your homebrew in a "can" Deep Wood Brew has these babies...

http://deepwoodbrew.com/stainless-steel-bottles/9-stainless-steel-bottle-12oz.html

I have their growler, the mini keg version, it is pretty sweet.

Risky riskyyyyyy.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ealthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

It is what lines the cans to prevent aluminum - flavored beer. I don't know how long it takes to seep in, but I'm sure you won't be majorly affected by it, considering that we consume it on an everyday basis with cans.

Also, BPA would be seeping from the anti-oxidation caps in an aged beer in a glass bottle over time, even though it isn't directly in contact with the beer.

I think in moderation you'll be fine. Unless you're pounding these things back like college kids. Then you might have bigger things to worry about :D

Has much canned beer I drank in the past I would think I would have shown any slide effects my now. But hscoo, tjoee can go but slhroop wollah perhexithon!

Back