SoperTour 2015 - NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Wed. June 10th prior to NHC I'll be hosting a bus tour and plan to hit 3 or 4 breweries. This is in the initial planning phase, but I usually leave from the conference hotel around 4:30p on Wed. and return about 9:30p-10p.

Destinations have yet to be decided, but I try to hit newer or lesser known breweries that may not be so close to the conference hotel.

Last year we had about 30-35 folks and had a blast.

I'll use this thread for HBT updates and to get a headcount of those that are for sure coming on the Tour, but don't have the ability to join the event I created on Facebook.

Who all wants a spot on the Tour?

Yooper, who were all the HBT attendees last year in Grand Rapids that I've missed? I got MMB, Mr. Brace, AZ_IPA, you, AJ, Sacc.....who else? I want to make sure all those that were on last year were invited.

Yooper, who were all the HBT attendees last year in Grand Rapids that I've missed? I got MMB, Mr. Brace, AZ_IPA, you, AJ, Sacc.....who else? I want to make sure all those that were on last year were invited.

Jonathon, Joelle D. and her husband and a few other Austinites, of course Sacc and AZ. I don't know the names of the rest of the folks from Austin, sorry! I know you didn't forget those guys!

I invited Matt Chrispen, as I figured he was (finally) joining us.

That one guy wasn't AJ, that was my friend Jim Karr who looks remarkably like AJ. Homer won't be coming to SD.

I think @hello mentioned she wanted to come, it'd be fun if @Bobby_M would come, and I know there were some in the "roll call" thread that I've left out simply because my memory sucks (no offense intended to any).

I can send Bobby an invite on Facebook, if you don't have his contact info.

For breweries, there are three in the same area but a expensive cab ride for one trip so that might be something to do. Up in Miramar (I think- according to the internet) are AleSmith, Green Flash, and Ballast Point- and that would be great.

I am interested as well. My only suggestion would be to hit breweries that aren't participating in the Welcome Reception on Thursday evening.

I'm so sad I won't be joining this year. Last year was SO MUCH FUN! I mentioned "Soper Tour 2015" to her last night and she got sad face. The tour is almost as much fun as the NHC!

I sincerely hope people remember to take lots of pictures and pick a few of the least incriminating to share on here.

I may be in, some things have changed for me and I'm trying to figure out if I can still swing it. Either way I'll be in CA that week, but I may not be at the conference. :(

Isn't Blind Lady right on the 30th street route not far from the Hotel? I'm not at all familiar with San Diego area.

I was hoping to provide an experience that wouldn't be easily done just with a quick Uber ride, but I'll leave that up to you guys.

If the consensus is for everyone just to hang with the other 3000+ homebrewers that will be in the Northpark/30th street loop then it's easier for me to plan that. I can go either way.

Next issue is where would we stop for food? I'm hearing many places don't have restaurants.

That's part of the reason I said Blind Lady. They have some food options. It was about 10 minutes from the Marriott Mission Valley via Uber. Not sure how close that is to North Park exactly since we went to that area on a different day. Further out and with food is the Stone Liberty Station location.

Isn't Blind Lady right on the 30th street route not far from the Hotel? I'm not at all familiar with San Diego area.

I was hoping to provide an experience that wouldn't be easily done just with a quick Uber ride, but I'll leave that up to you guys.

If the consensus is for everyone just to hang with the other 3000+ homebrewers that will be in the Northpark/30th street loop then it's easier for me to plan that. I can go either way.

Next issue is where would we stop for food? I'm hearing many places don't have restaurants.

That's part of the reason I said Blind Lady. They have some food options. It was about 10 minutes from the Marriott Mission Valley via Uber. Not sure how close that is to North Park exactly since we went to that area on a different day. Further out and with food is the Stone Liberty Station location.

Ya, its right on Adams in North Park. I think if we're trying to get further away than an uber ride then San Marcos/Vista area is the place to go

I'd say further out is better, as that is stuff we won't have easier access to during the week. However, I'm really game for anything. Food, to soften the blow, would be good to have on that first stop.

I agree with Shooter- partly because we can cab to close places like on Saturday when some of us skip the dinner. :D

I'm thinking that Wednesday evening, folks who don't go to the BNA party will go to 30th since it's so close. And I'm not going to Miramir locations like Green Flash- it's like a $30 Uber ride from the hotel. But I sure would love to!

Also, for the first five days, I'm staying right in that neighborhood, and on Tuesday night (the night before the SoperTour), I have a ticket for the event happening on 30th St for the restaurants and brewpubs. (I think Toby does too?) So on Tuesday I'll be in those places, which are a cheap cab or uber ride from the T&C- but I'd definitely be in anyway!

By popular demand, our target destination to be the Northpark area where all the action is.

Here's a list of places I'm considering:

Rip Current
Modern Times
Hess
Thorn Street
Fall
Automatic/Blind Lady

Sounds like Hess and Fall are most likely going to be destinations. Does anyone have an "in" at Modern Times?

By popular demand, our target destination to be the Northpark area where all the action is.

Here's a list of places I'm considering:

Rip Current
Modern Times
Hess
Thorn Street
Fall
Automatic/Blind Lady

Sounds like Hess and Fall are most likely going to be destinations. Does anyone have an "in" at Modern Times?

Well, I'm probably in no matter what, but I may want to go off myself to places I'd never get to, like Green Flash, Ballast Point and AleSmith since the Northpark area is so close and easily accessible to me via uber/cab/etc. I think there will be 3000 others in Northpark since it's so close. I'll let you know ASAP.

Well, I'm probably in no matter what, but I may want to go off myself to places I'd never get to, like Green Flash, Ballast Point and AleSmith since the Northpark area is so close and easily accessible to me via uber/cab/etc. I think there will be 3000 others in Northpark since it's so close. I'll let you know ASAP.

I've been told many of the places up in Miramar are small (in room size not production), don't serve food, and mostly production brewery-ish. If that's true they might be better for a small party visit.

I'm not familiar with the SD area at all so I have to go by what others tell me.

I've been told many of the places up in Miramar are small (in room size not production), don't serve food, and mostly production brewery-ish. If that's true they might be better for a small party visit.

I'm not familiar with the SD area at all so I have to go by what others tell me.

Oh, sure, I agree! That's probably a great choice. Since I'm staying in North Park for 4 nights before moving to the T & C, though, and I have a ticket to "do" North Park on Tuesday night, it's probably not the best choice for me. It sounds great for those who are arriving on Wednesday and are not able to get to the North Park/South Park area otherwise.

Oh, sure, I agree! That's probably a great choice. Since I'm staying in North Park for 4 nights before moving to the T & C, though, and I have a ticket to "do" North Park on Tuesday night, it's probably not the best choice for me. It sounds great for those who are arriving on Wednesday and are not able to get to the North Park/South Park area otherwise.

What event is your "ticket" for?

I'm thinking 1st stop should be a food destination and since Blind Lady is a restaurant/pub it would be a good 1st stop before hitting the breweries.

Anyone know if they'll take a reservation for a group our size? 30ish

What event is your "ticket" for?

I posted about it earlier, and Toby bought a ticket too. It's for samples of beer and food tidbits along 30th St on Tuesday evening (walking distance for me).

http://www.ahaconference.org/week-event/tuesday-taste-north-park/

I told Toby I'd pick him up at the conference hotel (or anyone else, I have room for 3), but he'd have to use uber or something to get back since I will park my rental car and walk at first, but will be drinking after that!

I'm not 100% decided on area so don't count Miramar out yet.

I'm not 100% decided on area so don't count Miramar out yet.

Well, like I said I'm probably in because I really enjoy being with "youse guys" ( a Yooperism for friends).

But it's an easy cab ride (and fairly cheap) to 30th, so I imagine that everyone who isn't going to the BNA party will also be on 30th. Just something to add to your list of considerations!

Well, like I said I'm probably in because I really enjoy being with "youse guys" ( a Yooperism for friends).

But it's an easy cab ride (and fairly cheap) to 30th, so I imagine that everyone who isn't going to the BNA party will also be on 30th. Just something to add to your list of considerations!

Here here!

K, well there is a new Ballast Point tasting room in Mira Mesa/Miramar that has a restaurant (can make reservations online for up to 20, and I can definitely call them about 10 more). Green Flash is huge inside, and can easily fit 30+ people (plus, since their acquisition of Alpine, they usually have a few Alpine beers on tap). Rough Draft is smaller than Green Flash, but can definitely handle 30 people. And I think White Labs would be cool because Im sure HB'ers would like to see where their yeasties are coming from.

I would say the only potential issue with WL is that their tasting room closes at 8PM and that the room is fairly small (probably 40-50 max occupancy)

Back