Corny Keg with 3rd threaded port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
A friend is going to loan me a corny keg he has for an upcoming batch I have coming due and he mentioned that it has in and out typical ball lock fittings and it also has a 3rd threaded port.

Does anyone know what this third male threaded port is for? Does anyone know thread size so I can cap it?

Thanks

Thats what I was thinking it could be used for but wasn't sure if corny kegs were manufactured with this intent.

I have one that has a level gauge installed, but most likely it's for a relief valve. I'd haul it down to your local hardware store and find something to fit.

I have one that has a level gauge installed, but most likely it's for a relief valve. I'd haul it down to your local hardware store and find something to fit.

I'd recommend that something be a pressure relief valve. A faulty regulator and a sealed stainless steal container can equal a very bad night.

I'd recommend that something be a pressure relief valve. A faulty regulator and a sealed stainless steal container can equal a very bad night.

The corny keg cap already has a pressure release valve just like every other corny so probably not necessary to have 2?

So the "third threaded port" is along the outside of the keg's top? Not on the keg lid?

That's something I've never seen before. Maybe at some point the soda keg was used to dispense syrup to two different soda faucets? Like when you see a soda fountain with two regular Pepsi dispensers.

Sorry for assuming the third threaded port was just the port where the pressure relief valve normally would be. It is threaded and I can see somebody who's never broken down a corny keg before not realizing that the relief valve screws into a port.

If it's just the same size as the regular in/out posts just stick another gas or liquid post on there. It won't be used, but the poppet valve should do a fine job sealing up the keg for you.

So the "third threaded port" is along the outside of the keg's top? Not on the keg lid?

Exactly. Its along the outside of the keg top. And a gas/liquid post on there seems like a perfect idea. As long as the threading is correct. Thanks for the idea.

My friend was also speculating the split faucet lines possibly. I'll have to see if I can get a pic uploaded once I get the keg tonight. I'll break it down to clean and see if a gas/liquid post will fit.

I have one of these. On my the third post is for a liquid level meter. I was thinking about hooking it up some how and have a low beer warning siren (lol siren) but I think i will put a gas in post and a diffusion stone on the end of it. making it my carbing keg. then use the gas in port for dispensing.

Pics are now dead, but I knew I saw this somewhere before...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-style-corny-sale-craigslist-142802/

This is it. Last page in the thread has a working pic still. Looks exactly like it.

And checked last night, a gas in post fit just fine. So is there any of fitting that could be used that has the same threads as a gas in post that anyone knows of? Rather not spend the $9.50 for a post if I don't plan on using it for anything.

Thanks for the info all

Back