new at kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakesbrew85

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up some second hand kegs put a brew in obviously after cleaning it and when put pressure in beer comes out beer side does that mean I need new spring. Any advice welcome.

Yeah,a bad poppet or you didn't get it together right.Try swapping a poppet/spring from one of the other kegs.Also make sure you use an "out" poppet.

Depending on the keg post type/style, you could need to get a different sized wrench than you currently have. If you have a decent socket set, you could have what you need already (need a deep socket though). Or you'll need to get a new wrench.

IF you have trouble removing the post, get a length of black pipe (3/4" pipe, 12" long did it for me) and slip it over the ratchet handle. That should give you the extra leverage you need to remove the post.

I would also advise, in the future, pressure testing the kegs before you fill them. Unless you get them brand new, and even then it's not a bad idea to give them a bit of a test before you go to fill them.

Problem found one valve was stuffed replaced and is now working. Will be pressure testing the other kegs before use from now on. Who I bought them off said all seals were new should have known better. Thanks though this is a great forum for help

Latest posts

Back