pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdirtbuggy

Reaction score
ok, i'm a guy who wants my kegged beer ready fast so my question is, I was planning on hitting my 3 gallon keg with 30 psi shaking the heck out of it and let it sit for around 12 hours or so. is this too long to let my brew sit at that pressure? if so how long should i let it sit at this pressure? any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

nah it won't hurt anything I let it sit at 30 psi and it takes about 24-36 hours to carb, but I don't shake it. So 12 hours should get it properly carbed if you shake it.

You can carbonate your beer as quickly as you like however carbonated green beer is still green beer. You really need to condition your beer for at least a month inorder for it to taste decent. And the stronger the beer usually the more time it takes to condition it.

I had some beer that was 3 weeks old (really 5 weeks if you count the 2 weeks in the fermenter) I tasted it and it wasn't good and was thinking maybe my yeast was contaminated. I also was considering tossing it out. A week later I tasted it again the difference that 4th week made was incredible.

What I do is taste the beer during the conditioning stage when it reaches the best flavor I put it in cold storage.

Shaking will give you carbonated beer, that much is for sure. It won't 'hurt' it either, but you may over-carbonate it, which takes time to recover from.

Any suggestions that could be given on how much to shake, or how long to leave it at an elevated pressure to achieve a certain 'acceptable' level of carbonation would be pure speculation.

The only way to achieve consistent and repeatable results is to set it and forget it. The first thing to decide is what temperature you like to enjoy your beer at. Next, decide what level of carbonation you would like your beer to have. And finally, set the pressure required to achieve those results and forget about it for 3-5 days. Perfect every time! It does require patience though, but can't the same be said for every step in the brewing process?

As stated above there is no way to speed up the conditioning process. Green beer is green beer no matter how you carbonate it.

abracadabra said:
You can carbonate your beer as quickly as you like however carbonated green beer is still green beer. You really need to condition your beer for at least a month inorder for it to taste decent.

The one exception would be hefeweizen, which seems to taste perfectly fine barely over two weeks old if you force carb it.

hefeweizen is what i'm gonna be kegging. i'll leave it in the fermenter for about 12 days and then keg. the last time i made a hefeweizen i left it in th fermentor for 12 days then bottled it. 8 days later it was perfect. for some reason i get the impression that hefes don't need too much conditioning to be delicious. is this true?

Yes, Hefe's are best consumed young and cloudy with yeast. To me, they loose a lot of their character as they age.

johnsma22 said:
Yes, Hefe's are best consumed young and cloudy with yeast. To me, they loose a lot of their character as they age.

I totally agree. the first bottle of hefe actually tasted better than the last bottle. I go through a 5 gallon batch in a little over a week so they stay young and fresh.

Back