Brown sugar to prime??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i'm thinking about using brown sugar to prime this batch, any one used it before?? if so, do i add about the same amount as with corn sugar?? thanks

i've never used it for priming, but you should go with the amount suggested for CANE sugar and not corn sugar (Palmer says "about 2/3 cup").

-walker

how's that for conflicting suggestions? :D

Neither BeeGee nor myself have ever used it, so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in here.

I based my comment off the fact that brown sugar is just white cane sugar with a touch of molasses in it, and white cane sugar is suggested at 2/3 cup for priming by John Palmer.

probably best to wait for someone who has done this before or can back up either BeeGee or myself.

-walker

I don't know style you made so I'll just show you what I've used in the past:

Chocolate Cherry Stout -
Carbonation: 2.4 volumes by using ⅔ cup of brown sugar for priming.

Duvel Cone -
Bottle with one cup of corn sugar mixed with ½ cup of brown sugar, boiled for five minutes in one pint of water.

Theakston's Old Peculiar Clone -
¾ cup Brown sugar for priming

That's all I've done so far. Hope it helped some.

Good luck,
Wild

the style is a darkish christmas ale. its a very nice dark bronwnish redish color, thats why i figured i'd use brown sugar because iits not going to effect the color much.

i've never primed by the bottle, too many horror stories! i always prime the whole batch at once.

Back