Simple conversion formula for No Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
Interested in doing some no sparge brewing since I like maltier beers and have read it works well for that. My problem is converting a standard all-grain recipe. Seems most of the brewing software and apps don't have a "no sparge" profile so it's hit and miss with knowing how much extra grain is really needed to hit the same gravity. Increase all grains or just base malt? How do you enter system efficiency in recipe calculator when no sparge efficiency seems all over the place?

Brew Your Own magazine ran an article about no-sparge brewing in November 2011 in which the writer reported pretty consistent efficiency of about 70% for lower gravity beers, with a predictable dropoff curve starting at anything higher than 1.050.

A lot of recipes are formulated assuming a specific efficiency, which may be listed on the recipe. So if you see that anywhere, just calculate the difference between those two efficiencies. If the assumed efficiency isn't stated, I'd say 75%-80% is a good assumption, but you really won't know for sure until you try it.

I'd recommend checking that article out, and the Basic Brewing Radio podcast from November 2011 on this page. Great information about no-sparge brewing in both.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2011

Thanks I will. Guess brewing software has spoiled me...just nice to select a profile and bam there are your numbers...increase grains this much and here are the water volumes based on pre-boil size and absorption and this is your strike water temp.

Never do high gravity beers, prefer malty and session beers and I brew in a very small space with not a bunch of spare time so just trying to be more efficient. Save an hour and get rid of a vessel would be nice.

Thanks I will. Guess brewing software has spoiled me...just nice to select a profile and bam there are your numbers...increase grains this much and here are the water volumes based on pre-boil size and absorption and this is your strike water temp.

Never do high gravity beers, prefer malty and session beers and I brew in a very small space with not a bunch of spare time so just trying to be more efficient. Save an hour and get rid of a vessel would be nice.

Just set the software efficiency for 70% and you can continue to use it as normal.

That article I believe got 50-55% efficiency with no sparge brewing. I get 50%.

As far as how to calculate your brew what you want to do is base it on whatever is your limiting component. For instance since I no sparge and no mash out, all my water drained from my mash is all the water I can brew with. I usually mash in around 7.5-8 gallons into 11# of grain and I'll get around 4.5 gallons of 1.045 OG beer.

Back