typical carboy/bung problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kneemoe

Reaction score
just had to push a bung into the carboy to get at my beer, and think i have a way of getting it out (from searching older threads)
question is, i have another carboy with the bung in almost the same spot, leading me to believe i'll have to go through the same thing with my next kegging session - is there any way i can make my life easier and remove the bung that's nearly an inch down in the neck?
i tried bending a coat hanger around to help it out, but it wouldn't budge, and i got a little worried about breaking a carboy on the tile, i even slipped two hacksaw blades (sanitized of course) on opposite sides to try to pinch it out, to no avail.
any ideas would be apreciated

You need to lubricate that sucker with some water or something slippery. To do this you may have to push the stopper through and then run a hanger through the hole and through the stopper and yank it out. You are of course talking about a drilled stopper, correct? Make a U in the hanger.. spray some water around it and then work it around as much as possible to let the water get in around the sides and then try to gently ease it out. If this doesn't work then push it in, spray some water in the empty carboy and wet the neck and then go to it with the hanger. It's a pain but it will work.. don't ask me how I know. I'd suggest you get bigger stoppers and not push them in so far in the future.

Back