"Best" Extract Kit Manufacturer(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Extract Kit Maker(s)

• Brewers Best

• Coopers

• Mountmellick

• Munton

• Rogue

• True Brew

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

jim4065

Reaction score
I'm starting to get a little experience with the True Brew kits, which I buy from the local supplier. It's the only brand he carries, so I'm wondering if I ought to try something else. Please take the poll and post your favorite kit maker if it's an "other". Also - I'm not ready for AG yet - let's make this just extract. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm starting to get a little experience with the True Brew kits, which I buy from the local supplier. It's the only brand he carries, so I'm wondering if I ought to try something else. Please take the poll and post your favorite kit maker if it's an "other". Also - I'm not ready for AG yet - let's make this just extract. You can choose more than one if you want. Thanks in advance for your help.

You should differentiate between Pre-Hopped can kits or Full Boil ingredient kits.

I did a few Brewer's Best kits a few years ago, and they were ok. I would say they would have been better if they were fresher. They sit on the shelves a bit after being made.

I like getting kits from a good homebrew store. They would put together a nice kit out of fresh extract, and crush the specialty grains when you order to ensure peak quality. I've successfully bought extract kids from northernbrewer.com and austinhomebrew.com. I prefer austinhomebrew.com, because they have many recipes to choose from and they have excellent instructions. Since then, I've bought other items from brewmaster's warehouse (not extract kits) and I'm buying my next kit from them. It's a beginning kit for my future son-in-law for Christmas.

There is probably nothing wrong with any of the kits you listed, but freshest is always better and good instructions count for a lot!

I have only done the easy batches. Brew House "extract" kits. Not sure if you can really call them that, more concentrated wort kits. On my fifth batch in 6 months, and they are all very good, and so simple to make. Probably not what real brewing is like, I have yet to try that, but for a very fast and easy beer, they are top notch.

Check out the Morebeer kits. They have several marked "10 Beers Under $.50 a Beer" which are a great way to check out the extract quality etc. I used to brew those all the time before I went all grain. Try some Safale 05 or 04 yeast as well. That stuff kicks ass.

Austin Homebrew has the best extract kits I've used. They don't skimp on the ingredients....even their discounted kits are loaded with grains, hops, and a healthy amount of extract (many other companies I have ordered from inflate their profits by going light on the ingredients, leading to wimpy beers).

The promotional IPA's AHS is offering are incredible deals.

I have done 3 True Brew kits, all have come out good, now I buy recipe kits from Austin Homebrew. I have made six of them so far (just finished brewing the Bavarian Hefe). All that I have tasted are great.

I'm fortunate that I have a very nice homebrew store in town. Their kits are priced very well and they go through a 55g barrel of lme every few weeks and grind the grains small batches at a time.

Directions are great and they have free shipping if you spend enough. http://listermann.com

+1 more for Austin Homebrew Supply.

As everyone has said, the ingredients are fresh, everything is pre-measured, and the instructions are great

The two extract I've brewed so far have been from Seven Bridges Coop in Santa Cruz and they've been great beers. Slightly on the pricier side but well worth it and great instructions.

I've use the ones below
Brewers Best - always turned out well for me
Coopers - also turned out well
Munton - I swear I followed the instruction well and the kits didn't turn out bad but not awesome either.

I have recently tried 2 or the Morebeer kits. The Scottish Export 80 Schilling and the ESB. The seem like really nice kits but the instructions could use some clarification. If I hadn't already brewed 8-10 batches or soo I would've been way more confused. My next order will be from Austin Home brew to give them a shot. The other thing I am doing is making recipes.

I'm one of those brewers who's been doing it for a long time but refuses to do the all grain thing. So I've probably done over 100 extract kits. I have always gotten my kits from either the LHBS, Morebeer and or AHS.

Morebeer and Austin Homebrew make awesome kits. Every kit includes all the malt extracts you need to make a 5 gallon batch. No need for adding crappy adjuncts like table sugar. Also they all include the appropriate steeping grains and hops to produce the proper style of beer. No using dark mystery extracts or funky pre hopped extracts. These are top quality beer kits that could easily place in a competition. The only limits on these kits are your abilities as a brewer.

Back