Newbee question - When to Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
Brewed my first extract batch 2 days ago. It is a Bavarian Hefe Weizen, fermentation is going well. The kit says ready in 5 weeks. intructions says fermentation time is 7 to 14 days.

Question is:

1. When and how do you know it is ready to bottle?
2. How long does it need to stay in the bottle before it is ready to drink?

Thanks in advance,

redneckbeagle

Technically you can bottle after fermentation is done.

But keeping it longer in the secondary (or primary if you don't use a secondary) won't hurt. Although, you may get some people that say keeping it in the primary on the yeast too long can cause off-flavors. But I digress. :)

Regardless, I typically bottle about 10-12 days after pitching. Mainly you just want to give the yeast enough time to do its thing.

It's ready to bottle after the fg has been reached and been stable for at least three days. But.......just because it's ready doesn't mean it's a great idea. Even after the fermentation is finished, the yeast are then cleaning up after themselves and digesting their own waste products.

I usually do a 1-2-3 type method: 1 week in the primary fermenter, 2 weeks in the clearing tank, 3 weeks in the bottle- then drink!

But, if you're not using a clearing tank, I'd leave it in the fermenter for 2 weeks or longer before bottling. The best way to tell is by your hydrometer reading.

I usually bottle about 3 weeks after brewing.

I'd say 10-12 days is way too early for most brews.
But Hefe's can be drunk young.
Just make sure it's finishe (Gravity reading) and let most of the yeast drop.

Yes, 10-12 days isn't long enough. I think during my post my mind wandered a bit. :drunk:

I typically keep my beer in my secondary for 10-12 days. Then bottle around the third week.

For wheats I leave them in primary for 14-21 days, then I bottle. I notmally shoot for 14 days, but if I have other things going on and it needs to sit for 21 days I don't worry about it too much.

Latest posts

Back