need help converting recipe from all grain to mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dahray02

Reaction score
Hey guys I don't have the setup for all grain, and i've become really good at mini mashes. I want to try this recipe i found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/paulaner-style-hefe-weizen-32811/

it's says extract with grain, i'm assuming its the same as mini mash?
and second question is i read through forums and i saw that beersmith helps with converting recipes so I got it. Well i see many all grain recipes i would like to try but i have no idea what i should do in beersmith or if that is the best way to convert recipes? any input would help, thanks

That specific recipe is extract with steeped grains, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Plug an AG recipe into Beersmith. Note the OG. Add up the specialty grains (say 2 lbs). Reduce the base grain to the same amount. Add LME until the OG is back to where you started. Brew.

That specific recipe is extract with steeped grains, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Plug an AG recipe into Beersmith. Note the OG. Add up the specialty grains (say 2 lbs). Reduce the base grain to the same amount. Add LME until the OG is back to where you started. Brew.

ahh so the convert button they have in the tool is useless?

ok so i'm trying to practice...how would you convert this all grain recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen-255659/

i put it in beersmith and noted the OG of 1.048 for a 6 gallon all grain boil, then reduced the 2 row to 5 pounds? since 1# of vienna plus 4# of white wheat. So i added 0.7# of LME to get back to 1.048. Did i do that right or do i need to change the type in beersmith from allgrain to partial, and the equipment from 13 gallon pot to 5 gallon pot??

dahray02 said:
ahh so the convert button they have in the tool is useless?

Ha ha! Yes there is a conversion tool and yes it works, makes things really simple. One note though, there are certain defaults for the grain type or extract type that need to be verified first to get the desired conversion.

Back