Need quick advice on hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
I'm about to start the mash of:

9# MO
1# Munich
.75# Crystal 40
.25# Dextrine

I have
4 oz leaf Chinook - unknown AA - maybe 10%
.5? homegrown Centennial - maybe not too good
1 oz Ahtanum 4.5%
1 oz cascade 5.4%

I'm thinking:

1 oz Chinook at 60
1 oz Cascade at 20
1 oz Chinook + home grown at 5
dry hop?

or

1 oz Cascade at 60
1 oz Chinook at 20
1 oz Chinook + homegrown at 5
dry hop?

what do you guys think about the hops?

Hm. Chinook is usually best as a bittering hop, but homegrown are usually best as aroma hops. Or wait, you're saying only the Centennial are homegrown right?

I'd do 1oz Chinook @ 60, the Cascades at 15 minutes... IF the Centennial smell ok, regardless of AA, I would do all the Centennials at 5 minutes, at flameout, or for a dry hop.

Never used Ahtanum before, does it fit with the others?

1 oz Chinook @ 60

.5 oz Chinook @ 20
.5 oz Cascade @ 20

.5 oz Chinook @ 5
.5 oz Cascade @ 5

homegrown centennial dry hop in keg

how's this look?

the chinooks smell so darn good. I think they'll be a good finished hop...no?

The only Chinook I have used, personally, are older pellets. I used them for bitterness, as they didn't smell great. If your whole Chinooks smell good, then they should work for an aroma hop, just be careful because I have heard that Chinooks are easy to go overboard on. You might consider .25oz Chinook + .5oz Cascade for the 20 minute addition.

I like the idea of doing dual-hop additions at 20 and 5. That should contribute an interesting and mellow/rounded hop note. +1 to dry hopping with the Centennials too.

This looks pretty durned solid, good work dude.

Latest posts

Back