How to remove alcohol from beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennanwt5

Reaction score
So I was thinking the other day about how to make good alcoholic beer into good non-alcoholic beer. The practice nowadays is to cook the wort post fermentation, which produces beer like odouls. You see where I am going...

That said, after thinking about it, I wonder what would happen if Catalase enzyme was added to wort post-fermentation. I studied biology in college, but I am by no means in a bio chemist. Would the resultant reaction cause the ethanol to convert to water + acetaldehyde? And theoretically, wouldn't the acetaldehyde come out of suspension and boil off after some time?(Acetaldehyde has a boiling point of 69 deg).

I think what would be left, assuming you could convert all the ethanol, would be a slightly watered down non-alcoholic beer. What do you think?

Acetaldehyde is much more toxic than ethanol. It is fully miscible with water, and I assume you cannot boil *all* of it away. Boiling away most of it might not be good enough.

So it's a good thought experiment, but I don't think it will work.

I'm thinking you could freeze the beer and then pour off the alcohol since it has a much lower freezing point. Send the poured off stuff to me! :ban:

Given that I have never tasted a de-alcoholized beer of which I would want another I conclude that freeze separation, heating separation, low alcohol producing yeast strains, dialysis etc. do not, at the state of the art, produce an acceptable result.

Given that I have never tasted a de-alcoholized beer of which I would want another I conclude that freeze separation, heating separation, low alcohol producing yeast strains, dialysis etc. do not, at the state of the art, produce an acceptable result.

And that is what I was thinking.

I'd love to produce a fabulous low ABV beer, under 1%. Then you could enjoy the taste, and not have the effects. The best I've done is a 3.3% mild. I did a session IPA that clocked in at 3.9%, and it was not bad. I'd love to be able to find a good way to dealcohol a great beer but since even the big boys can't do it, I'm not holding my breath.

Back