Amber Witbier - Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could critique my recipe. I took the Hoegaarden clone recipe, adjusted it a bit and came up with this...

2.75 lbs. Belgian 2-Row Malt (3.0 SRM)
2.75 lbs. Belgian Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)
2.0 lbs. Crystal Malt – 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.0 lb. Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.0 lb. Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (pellet) [5.0%] @ 60 min
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (pellet) [5.0%] @ 10 min
0.25 oz. Curaco orange peel, dried & shredded @ flameout
0.125 oz. Coriander, crushed @ flameout
1 pkg. Wyeast 2944 (Belgian Witbier)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2 pounds of crystal 40 ? Am I reading this right ? I know you are shooting for an "amber witbier", but 2 pounds of crystal is pretty much always too much.

I was wondering about that...I've mostly been brewing others tried and true recipes, but now that I've got my processes figured out I wanted to start building some of my own. What if I upped the 2row and wheat to 3# and added .75# of crystal 60?

I was wondering about that...I've mostly been brewing others tried and true recipes, but now that I've got my processes figured out I wanted to start building some of my own. What if I upped the 2row and wheat to 3# and added .75# of crystal 60?

Loads better I think, but I would use crystal 40 (or even 20) nonetheless and adjust for color using something like sinamar or carafa. I'm not so sure about a witbier with cara malts, but if there is something I learned by reading these forums is that you are always better off adding less on first brew than too much. Else you might water the plants instead of yourself with your beer :)

Something like
3.5 pounds 2-row
3.5 pounds wheat malt (or flaked wheat for authenticity*)
12 oz crystal 20
1 pound oats

Back