Bottling without a gravity measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I made a Belgian wit. It's been fermenting well over a month: I made it on September 18. I want to bottle it this weekend without doing the normal gravity measurements between the span of a few days. Any risks that I'll get bottle bombs here? The original gravity was only 1.040. I can't imagine it would need any more time, given that the OG was so low.

You only need about 2 weeks to ferment a belgian wit. In my opinioin, they're best when you drink them young anyways.

But, I wouldn't bottle without a gravity reading. There's always a chance that your yeast could have stalled out, and it's not fully fermented. It could kick it back in gear when you move the carboy or change the temps. Very low chance that this is the case...but it's better to be safe than have bottle bombs.

I agree with 'southern. I would lay my hands on a hydrometer and take a reading or 2. I've had funky things happen with wit and saison yeasts. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

better safe than sorry. but on my house brews I sometimes dont do OG or FG just cuz I like to live on the edge. but I dont bottle. besides,your friends will ask "whats the ABV?" and without a reading,you wont be sure.

you got to rack it to a bottling bucket anyways,so getting a sample on the way is no biggie.

Back