Homemade hazelnut extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I've made two batches of hazelnut beer now and I am looking for advice making my own extract. The first batch I made (10 gal batch) I just threw about a pound of chopped hazelnuts in the last 10 minutes of the boil and then I added another pound of chopped hazelnuts to the secondary and let it sit for a couple weeks. I was disappointed with the results as the hazelnut flavor was barely discernible. The second batch I just picked up some extract from the homebrew shop and it worked great.

I still like the idea of using actual hazelnuts rather than the pre-made extracts especially since there are local hazelnut orchards I can buy fresh hazelnuts at. I was wondering if anyone has tried homemade hazelnut extract in their homebrew and how successful it was?

Also how should I make it for this purpose? I'm guessing I just want to chop the roasted unsalted hazelnuts into small chunks but not so fine that they would turn to mush and then put in a jar and pour enough vodka in to just cover the chopped hazelnuts with maybe a little extra since some will probably soak into the nuts? How long should I let it soak, a week, a month? Should I strain the extract with cheese cloth before adding or should I just pitch the whole thing, nuts and all to the secondary?

Interesting, I know you can do this with vanilla or peppers, and you make Lemoncello this way. Seems like it would have to be very finely chopped and a lot of it to get the flavor you want. I really don't know, but I am curious what others will say. Subscribed

That sounds like it would work, I like the idea of roasting them first. I haven't made a hazelnut extract yet but it looks like I will try the same soon.

Care to share the recipe for the second batch?

I am making one currently. I roasted 3/4 lb hazelnuts in a pan until browned and then tried to remove skins as best I could before finely chopping them. I added these to a mason jar and poured Sobieski vodka over the top of them. You could definitely use a finer vodka and I have even heard of using brandy. I wanted a neutral medium. It's been a week and it spells amazing. The hazelnut taste and aroma are very present. I'm not sure what proportions I'll use it in, but I'll probably add some at transfer to secondary and then maybe more at bottling. Cheers!

Oh man, I just tried some of mine and mixed some up into a liqueur for a holiday party and it is good! I was at a spice shop the other day and took a whiff of the artificial hazelnut extract and it was terrible, smelled just like that crappy flavored coffee. The real deal is so much better:) thanks for the inspiration.

Back