Yeast Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenlogic

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I bought a kit to bring back to school with me and didn't open it up until now. The yeast in the kit is liquid yeast and since I didn't open it, it never got refrigerated. It was not exposed to high temperature. What are the chances it's still good? There's no LHBS in the area so I can't just to pick up new yeast.

Thanks,
Dan

Also, forgot to mention the time period, its been sitting unrefrigerated for over a month! This in itself is bad in that I should have brewed by now, but hectic class and work schedule has had be preoccupied.

you could make a starter and see if the yeast will wake up. Possibly step it up after that. Otherwise, you may be better off just ordering some dry yeast so that you don't run into these problems again. It sucks when life gets in the way of brewing.. but it happens.

The yeast will be fine. I'd always suggest a starter anyway for faster fermentation starts. Yeast harvested from bottles that are years old may still be viable. I once bottled a 12% beer that had sat for 6 months and the strained and 6 month old yeast were still lively enough to carbonate the beer once in the bottle.

Thanks Guys! I haven't made a starter yet, I'm fairly new to brewing, I usually just pitch yeast and let it do its thing. From browsing the forums it seems to be what the majority of you do. I will have to give it a go and see if the yeast are still good.

I didn't have any DME to make a starter, so i just pitched the liquid yeast into the Pumpkin Ale I brewed tonight...Hopefully it works out alright!

Took until about 3 days to see some activity in the airlock, but its been bubbling pretty actively since about day 4.
Another question...my propane tank ran out of gas about 54 minutes into the boil, I still hopped it at 59 minutes. How much of an effect on not getting the full boil have on the outcome of this brew?

Back