Hop Salsa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This sounded like such a good idea, so last night I made up one of my favorite sweet salsas (made with tomatillos and lime zest).

I started adding Willamette to it and it went bitter. Fail. I dunno, I was just sure this would work. I used ground pellets. I would have preferred whole hops, but I had none.

Anyone ever try this? I'm gonna give it another go this wkend with a tomato-based salsa and whole cascades.

This sounded like such a good idea, so last night I made up one of my favorite sweet salsas (made with tomatillos and lime zest).

I started adding Willamette to it and it went bitter. Fail. I dunno, I was just sure this would work. I used ground pellets. I would have preferred whole hops, but I had none.

Anyone ever try this? I'm gonna give it another go this wkend with a tomato-based salsa and whole cascades.

I love hops, so I thought hops pellets would taste as good as they smell.

Try one. Just put one in your mouth and chew it up.

That's what you put into the salsa- bitter!!!!!!!!!!

I'd taste the leaf hop, too, before trying it!

I love hops, so I thought hops pellets would taste as good as they smell.

Try one. Just put one in your mouth and chew it up.

That's what you put into the salsa- bitter!!!!!!!!!!

I'd taste the leaf hop, too, before trying it!

i took a bite out of a hop cone i tossed in my glass yesterday. it wasn't bad at all. it was fresh off the bine, though. i think if you used a low AA fresh hop cone, you might get something workable. mine was centennial, but i can see any 'bright' flavor hop working ok.

Yeah, if the hop doesnt taste good on it's own (taste good as in you can eat a handful of the pellets or cones...) then it probably isnt going to work in a food application. Even the best flavor and aroma hops taste like bitter grassy plant matter to me when consumed whole.

I say use 'em as flavor and aroma additions then remove them. Maybe boil some in tomato juice for < 15 minutes. Maybe even dry hop it, then strain the hops out so your not actually eating them. Whole would probably strain out easier. Let us know how your second attempt goes. Sounds interesting.

I say use 'em as flavor and aroma additions then remove them. Maybe boil some in tomato juice for < 15 minutes. Maybe even dry hop it, then strain the hops out so your not actually eating them. Whole would probably strain out easier. Let us know how your second attempt goes. Sounds interesting.

I think carrotmalt has the right idea. Get the tomato juice boiling first and drop your hops in via a hop sock. I would do 5 min just to get the aroma, as if you were adding it to the last 5 min of your boiling wort. Then you will have a much more controllable additive to the salsa.

Back