New Penrose Kettle Boil Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got the new Penrose kettle for Xmas. Today I decided to do a little test with it to see what the boil off rate was. My last brew pot was a 40 qt stainless model with a tri-layer bottom about 15" diameter and I usually had about 2 gal/hr of Boil off. With the Penrose (which is right at 16" diameter) I had almost 3 gal/hr. I backed off the turkey fryer gas to about 75% once the boil was going. Does that seem like a bit much to boil off to anyone else?

Yep, sounds like quite a bit to me. I'm guessing this kettle is a lot wider than your current one? Dial down your boil a bit more and see where that gets you.

So back to the Penrose Kettle. How do you like it? I'm really considering getting some of these for the up coming electric brewing system. It has been unusually cold and snowy in WVa this year and, while I love beer, I'm not inclined to freeze my balls off outside.

For the size, features and price I don't think they can be beat. How's the construction? Are they solid? Is the output threaded or barbed?

I dig it so far. Well made, no leaks, stainless half inch ball valve out. Best deal out there by far!

Pot only has an inch larger diameter than my former pot. That shouldn't increase the boil off by that much.

Hmm, so the diameter's 16"? So if you were to replace keggles with these, you'd need a custom false bottom, unless it matches the diameter of some of the commercial ones (Polarware, Megapot, B3 pots) to use it as an MLT?

Bling factor is only about a 6.5-7. It's stainless, but it's no boilermaker... I dig it though Function over form.

Your talking 13.777% more exposed surface area going from 15" to 16" pot diameter. From From 176.71 sq/in to 201.06 sq/in this 13.77% area increase your adding more BTU's heat to the bottom than before as well the liquid surface area, all adds up in your boil off rate increase.
Yummy taste the bling in the bier?

No beer. It was just a boil off test. Probably brew something here in the next few days once I get everything I need to hook up the new march pump.

I have a 16" diameter pot and boil off 1.5-2 gallons in an hour. You may want to turn it down and save some propane :)

-Joe

Back