Bigger starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyr2973

Reaction score
With all these posts on larger starters, I'm starting to wonder if the starters I'm making are big enough? For a 5 gallon centennial blonde I made a few weeks ago with WLP002 I just did the normal 2 cups of boiled water, mixed in 1/2 cup light DME, added yeast and put it on a stir plate for 4 hours. Suggestions?

You have asked a big question, that needs more data to be a question. What was your OG in the beer and starter? Normally the starters get started a day or days before needed, and if you have to push back the brew day it can stay in the fridge. Some do steps of crashing then bumping back up again, then crash again, these are called stepping it up for more yeast. Their are lots of ways to skin this cat.

Since you're using a stir plate, your starters don't have to be as large to get the same cell count vs. just doing a "simple starter".

Run some numbers through Mr. Malty and select the different types of starter from the little drop-down menu. You'll see what I mean and you'll be glad that you use a stir plate.

BTW- I normally run my stir plate starters 12-18 hours before cold crashing a day or two. 4 hours on the plate isn't enough time to build the cell count up very much.

BigFloyd said:
Since you're using a stir plate, your starters don't have to be as large to get the same cell count vs. just doing a "simple starter".

Run some numbers through Mr. Malty and select the different types of starter from the little drop-down menu. You'll see what I mean and you'll be glad that you use a stir plate.

BTW- I normally run my stir plate starters 12-18 hours before cold crashing a day or two. 4 hours on the plate isn't enough time to build the cell count up very much.

+1
The only thing ill add is I like to use Www.yeastcalc.com and the reason is it allows for stepped starters if you find them necessary. Plus, for stir plates Kai has added his own tab with documentation backing up his findings where the others have really not pertaining to cell growth expected

Back