How to do 10 gallon full boils, heater required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Ok, i've done about 10 5 gallon brews and i've found the beers I like to brew and I think i've become fairly good at it. I want to venture into 10 gallon full boils and then eventually go all grain.

How many BTU of a heater is required to heat a keg up with 11 gallons + extract to boiling and how long will it take?

I am not sure if the one you are linking to can do a 10 gal boil. I have the one linked below, and from memory it puts out at or above 150K btu, and is cheaper than the one you listed. I got mine at HD.
http://www.homedepot.com/ then search for Model SQ14

For what its worth, I would focus on going AG before worrying about bigger batches. The cost of doing 10 extract batches would be the main reason to do the switch first.

Well, I am "aquiring" the kegs over the winter.... So I figured, the kegs need to be cut, drilled, parts added and i'll still need some burners anyway so why not do 10 gallon full boils while i'm waiting for my AG system to finish completion right? Unless i'm missing something, once I get my first keg built, and have a burner I have nearly 50% of the parts i'll need for AG and 100% of the parts for 10 gallon full boil.... That is my thinking anyway...

Which ever one you decide on, just make sure that is has a big enough diameter for a keg to sit securely on it. Also, make sure it is of a sturdy enough design to take the weight.

John

I would definately get one bigger then 65,000 BTU. A 150,000 BTU burner will cut down your brew time. I have two 150,000 burners under my boil pot for 300,000 BTU's but then Im boiling 25 gallons.....

Boil1.jpg

Monster Mash said:
I would definately get one bigger then 65,000 BTU. A 150,000 BTU burner will cut down your brew time. I have two 150,000 burners under my boil pot for 300,000 BTU's but then Im boiling 25 gallons.....

Boil1.jpg

You, Sir, are the F.in' Man.

orfy said:
I'm doing 5g on 8500 btu

We can't get Turkey fryers over here.:mad:
Would you like me to send you one?
fryer.jpg

$98.00 at Costco

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to work something out.

(this only an offer to help. not trying to make a buck)

Cheers.

It would be cool, if you could get me a shipping cost.
The problem I've had is shipping is more than the fryer.

I really only need the burner and gas fitting. I have kegs and kettles.

Thanks

the_bird said:
Mike, for $20 more, buy this bad-boy...

210,000 BTUs, and a keg fits perfectly right on top. Haven't taken it out for a spin yet (just got my propane tank last night), but I'll let you know exactly how much of a bad mother****er it is after tommorrow's session... :D

Link, please!!!

I bought it from Home Depot online; free shipping.

The link doesn't want to work, but go to the site and search on "Bayou Classic Banjo".

Back